Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Thinking of moving to Montana >

Thinking of moving to Montana

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Thinking of moving to Montana

Old 06-26-2005, 10:14 AM

Default RE: Thinking of moving to Montana

Nemont, in response to your question to westerners about elk: I don't anwser these types of questions anymore. You would be surprised at how many emails I have gotten from people when they find out I'm from Western Montana. People from the east coast saying they are comming out here to hunt and could I show them where they elk are. Yeah right. first off, I don't know any of these people, and really don't want to. If I knew somebody was sincere, and were bringing their kid or something, I would be more than happy to share what I know. The majority seem to just want a free guide. I have had people email me about elk questions, what bugles to use etc. I answer because I love to talk elk hunting. Then, inevitably, the conversation turns into where do I hunt and if they came out, could I show them some good areas. I have gotten to the point where I just don't respond to these types of questions anymore. It takes a long time to find productive elk spots with privacy and good bulls, and folks just think I'm going to take them to my spots? I will definately help out my fellow hunters, and will show some good areas and even help pack an animal out, but not just because somebody asked. If I know somebody is sincere, finacially limited and looking for a DIYer once in a lifetime hunt, I will help any way I can, but alot of the out of staters are looking for a place they can come and hunt with there buddies year after year, and I'm not going to be their scout. There are several members of this site that live right here in Montana, and I would help and hunt with them in a minute, but its because I've read a ton of their post and I am familiar with them.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Thinking of moving to Montana

First off I would never ask anyone for their honey hole or to even expect anything other then general info. I find the deal with Western Montanans is the same. They will ask for help with fishing on Fort Peck, for instance, I give them what I know and then ask how the fly fishing ison Rock Creek. Guess who is more willing to help? I get deluged with emails asking about hunting in the Breaks I answer those that I can but will not give anything other then general info. I have asked for general info. ie populations, suggestions of maybe which unit to consider etc.

I have had several people now email me and say come on over and hunt. So I will leave it at that.

Nemont