Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

full choke with steel

Old 09-15-2002, 10:26 AM

Default full choke with steel

Anyone shooting steel shot through a full choke?
There are some full choke tubes out that are made for steel shot. How do they pattern? They say steel patterns more tight than lead, but all the tests I've done show this not to be true.
Steel through a modified choke, patterns like a modified choke and steel through cylinder choke patterns like a cylinder choke.
I shoot BBB for geese and want more of a tighter pattern than modified. My gun has screw on chokes but are screwed on the outside of the barrel not inside. It's an older Italian gun (Breda), All parts are interchangeable with the Beretta 303, Just that the barrel has outside chokes.
If it's possible to get full choke patterns with a full choke, then I would get another barrel with screw in chokes or by another gun with screw in chokes.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 09-15-2002, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: full choke with steel

It wasn't recommended by my manufacturer (Mossberg) or gunsmith to fire steel through a full choke. My gunsmith honed the barrel out to modified and it's fine. The 30" barrel helps keep the pattern tight. They do recommend using a smaller shot when using steel due to it's noncompressability.

Dan O.

Old 09-16-2002, 06:05 AM

I have the steel full choke for my Remington's and it shoots just fine. I only use it for goose hunting. Works like a champ.

Jerry
DE Duck Hunter
Old 09-16-2002, 07:26 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I have the steel full choke for my Remington's and it shoots just fine. I only use it for goose hunting. Works like a champ.

Jerry
DE Duck Hunter
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
What shot are you using for geese? I shoot BBB and need a full choke that can handle it.

Old 09-16-2002, 09:21 PM

my friend uses a full choke and bb shot for geese
Old 09-17-2002, 06:11 AM

I've thrown everything from T shot through 2's through my full choke.

Jerry
DE Duck Hunter
Old 09-17-2002, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is my understanding that the recommendation not to shoot steel shot through a full choke, is for the older guns with a fixed full choke barrel. Everyone I hunt with has bought a new gun in the past three years, The mossberg, browning, and bennelli's will all shoot steel shot through the full chokes straight from the factory, my browning gold does hold a lot tighter pattern with the full choke, shooting 3 1/2&quot; mag BBB. I have noticed that my gun does not perform as well useing the remington ammo, so I shoot PMC, or Winchester. You may need to try a few brands of ammo, untill you find the one your gun likes the best.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:40 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-20-2002, 05:32 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-28-2002, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Got an extra full steele choke for my browning and it shoots almost the same pattern as the lead out of my turkey choke. I don't use it often because the pattern is a little to tight for my shooting abilities.