Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Full choke with steel in Rem 870??? >

Full choke with steel in Rem 870???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Full choke with steel in Rem 870???

Old 02-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Full choke with steel in Rem 870???

I shoot a Remington 870 Super Express Magnum (chambered for 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2" shells) that is about 3 years old.

I thought I heard that it was a bad idea to shoot steel through a full choke, the idea being that the stress of forcing the steel through the greater constriction of the full choke may cause the barrel to stretch and thin and thereafter, as a result of the thinning, bulge and ultimately burst. Part of the analysis may involve understanding that some steel loads are high velocity, up to 1550 FPS, maybe even 1600 FPS. Part of the analysis may further consider shot size, for example advising against using full chokes with large steel shot -- #2, BB, BBB, T.

Does anyone have a comprehensive understanding of this issue that can provide some clarification? Can I get a full choke and use it in my 870? If I do, are their any restrictions on size of shot, muzzle velocity of shoot, or shot material that I need to be aware of? I am most interested in using either Hevi Shot (just as hard if not harder than steel) and steel.[/align]
Old 02-01-2008, 09:25 AM

Default RE: Full choke with steel in Rem 870???

Depends on the choke really, you will have to see what it is rated for. I also believe steel shot reacts differently than lead shot does and it is common to shoot one choke size under. Some of my chokes list what they are for steel and lead. Like a my Modified choke says "Modified lead/Full steel".

If you get a full choke rated to shoot steel I see no reason why you couldn't shoot steel out of it with a modern gun. Just make sure you pattern it to see how it really shoots, it may shoot tighter than what a full choke really should.

Keep in mind this is only what I have read, I have never shot steel in any of my guns.

Another idea would be to contact the manufacturer for your gun and see what they recommend if it isn't covered in your manual for the gun.

You might also get some better information if you post this in the Waterfowl hunting section. This is where it is going to most commonly used.

Paul
Old 02-01-2008, 09:32 AM

It wont have a problem with the barrel. But steel shot shoots different then lead. From what ive noticed(I do not shoot steel alot like some people do) is that with steel use Mod if you want a Full pattern and use Imp Cyl for a Mod pattern and so on. I could be wrong but that is what i have noticed from the few times i have shot steel. Also i tryed a full choke and couldnt get a decent pattern at 15 yards.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

This misunderstanding mainly stems from patterns and choke issues. As steel shot is a lot harder than lead,it produces a much tighter pattern as oppesed to lead shot from same choke. In other words-steel shot fired thru a modified choke will give full choke patterns,thus with steel shot,use a more open choketo safely acchieve desired patterns in DESIGNATED steel shot approved chokes/barrels.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will copy this to the waterfowl area; good suggestion.

Additionally, I plan to pattern my shotgun in the future before next season. Perhaps my factory (Redhead Rem chokes) chokes in improved cylinder and modified will provide the patterns I want. I will candidly admit that I am not the best shotgun shooter on the planet. Agruably, a mediocre shotgun shooter is better served shooting a broader pattern and limiting their range appropriately than by shooting a narrower pattern in order to shoot at longer range (only to miss because they lack the necessary shooting skill). On the other hand, I know I can improve by practicing my mount, concentrating on fundamentals such as consistency of hold and forming a good face weld to the stock, lining up along the rib and bead sight as well as going to the skeet range throughout the next year.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have the same shotgun and I use a choke that is rated at full steel/mod lead for pass shooting geese with 3" or 3 1/2"BB or BBB steel. When shooting duck over decoys I switch to the Remchoke Imp Cyl choke and use #4 steel.
I've seen guys using chokes labed full and even xfull (lead) but I wouldn't recommend it. That's a lot of restriction and just setting yourself up for a potential hazard.