Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Floating 4th shell in a SBEII >

Floating 4th shell in a SBEII

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Floating 4th shell in a SBEII

Old 02-01-2005, 07:22 PM

Default RE: Floating 4th shell in a SBEII

the mag lock is manual it will not flip with the cycle so it does you no good

[8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 02-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Just out of curiocity has anyone done it with a pump that has a magazine cut off like the Benelli Nova?
Old 02-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Yep! You unlock the magazine before you fire.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Spike

You can do it with SBE II. I do it with my when I hunt coyotes. You just have to know how to do it. You should really not be talking about this on here. You are just aking for trouble. If you don't know how the only way to learn is if someone shows you how. Besides it is illegal to do unless you are hunting game to has no shell limit.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:18 PM

My buddy has an M1 field and I don't no who showed him how to do it (because he's to stupid to figure out anything like that on his own), but he does it once in a while and thinks it's cute. I think it's stupid. If you want an extra shot then just stick your plug in your pocket and load up all five. Better yet, just eat your plug and thread on an extended magazine. Load up some nickel-plated lead and just punchout wide open. Seriously three shots are plenty if you make them count.

Boldt
Old 02-03-2005, 11:54 AM

Let me start by saying that this subject interests me solely from an academic standpoint only to satisfy a technical curiosity but serves no practical purpose for me.

This started as a question about the Benelli and that is the only one I had previously heard of. Now, we have seven different guns that can supposedly float the fourth shell. If this were really the case, do you not think that some savvy game wardens would be writing tickets like crazy? It would not matter if you actually did it or not. What matters is if the gun is capable of it. To everyone that says, "Well, my gun will do it but I don't do it because it is illegal". That is the same as saying "Well, I leave the plug out but I never load more than three shells".

Back to the technical side, my SBE was manufactured in 2000 and while it is possible to float the fourth shell, I only see two ways to do it, neither one is easy, safe, or feasible. One would be to omit or modify the cartridge drop lever in the trigger assy to allow the cartridge carrier to be pushed down as the bolt is closed. The other would involve disassembling the magazine after a round was chambered.

Yeah, I know this sounds crazy and irresponsible. That is why I would highly advise against the practice and will not be doing it myself. Cats aren't the only thing curiosity can kill.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:21 PM

This question got way to far out of hand. I just wanted to know for my own personal mechanical enjoyment. I'll leave it as a Duck-Blind Legend.

................hell, if I wanted to cheat, I wouldn't try and Float a shell. I would take the freakin plug out.