Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

SBEII

Old 02-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default SBEII

I have shot Rem 870's for 30+ years.I am thinking about getting an auto to help reduce recoil.I was going to get a Rem 11-87 but have really been loooking at a SBEII. Are they really that much better than the 11-87?[/align]
Old 02-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SBEII

The SBEII is too expensive for what it is, in my opinion. You could get a Franchi I-12 that will do the same thing. Both are Inertia-Driven. An 11-87 will kick less than a SBEII just because of the simple fact that it is gas operated.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

I have an SBE II and i LOVE it! Had it one year this turkey season and only cleaned it twice. Turkey hunted, dove, fall turkey, and quail hunted with it and never jamed once!!! I dont think you can go wrong. JMO
Old 02-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of my hunting buds have SBEII's and they are a great gun - that's for sure.

But I tell you what... Two of us have Winchester Superx2 auto's and those guns hang right in there. In fact I would say in harsh hunting conditions, the SX2's have probably outperformed the SBEII's... I've hunted in some pretty nasty conditions and it's usually rock solid. Not sure where the price is currently (since I've had mine for 5+ years), but I think it's close to half the price of the SBEII's...
Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

The SBEII is too expensive for what it is, in my opinion. You could get a Franchi I-12 that will do the same thing. Both are Inertia-Driven. An 11-87 will kick less than a SBEII just because of the simple fact that it is gas operated.
Expensive....without a doubt. Same as Franchi? up for debate, and i see where some say it is, buti say no. Dont really feel like getting into that one tho.

Anyone who thinks a SBEII kicks harder than an 11-87 hasnt shot both guns IMO. After shooting mine, any other gas operated gun or pump gun feels like a cannon. The comfortech stocks make the ID system a wash, IMO. the gel checkpad is really nice too, I feel like my jaw is broken everytime i shoot my buds 870 or 11-87 now. Both are fine guns, but 11-87 isnt on the same playing field as far as comfort goes IMO. Easiest shotgun ive ever seen to clean as well.

A great gun, very expensive for an autoloading hunting gun, so obviously not for everyone. I was worried about it cycling light shells when i got it, but found that to be a myth. Ive shot the cheapest 8 shot shells i could find just out of curiousity, still no jamming. anything from Wolf 2.75 #8s to Drylok Steel 3.5 BBBs, eats them all the same.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:29 PM

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

A couple of my hunting buds have SBEII's and they are a great gun - that's for sure.

But I tell you what... Two of us have Winchester Superx2 auto's and those guns hang right in there. In fact I would say in harsh hunting conditions, the SX2's have probably outperformed the SBEII's... I've hunted in some pretty nasty conditions and it's usually rock solid. Not sure where the price is currently (since I've had mine for 5+ years), but I think it's close to half the price of the SBEII's...
two of my friends just picked up used SX2s. they are one sweet gun as well. Never a problem, and a rock solid gun. Handle well, nice shaped forearm and stock, doesnt seem to jam. I really like these guns, but wouldnt trade my SBEII for both of them. Shotguns are really just a personal preference thing IMO. One of my friends prefers his 870 and hates the way SBEIIs shoulder, i feel the opposite...in the right hands, all will kill what you are pointin em at tho.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:37 AM

I owned a Remington 11-87 and decided to give it to my nephew two years ago. I bought a Benelli SBEII, paid $1400.00 or there abouts, the gun is definately lighter than the 11-87, handles well, and holds up to some rough conditions (I take care of my stuff though). I've got my collectable guns, but I bought this thing for the same purpose I bought the 11-87, they were myWORKING guns! Anyway, I'm not sure if I had to do it again if I would deem the higher priced Benelli worth it over the 11-87. I know my nephew is happy though ... lucky kid to have sucha great uncle !!
Old 02-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

I've got a SBE 1 its has served me well, I looked at the SX2 as well both were in the same ballpark for price when I got mine. I really like how easy it is to field strip. I to had no problems with even the lightest loads