Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Plot ideas

Old 01-01-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Plot ideas

I live in Northwest Alabama about 30 min south of the Tenn. river. On my deer hunting lease I have maybe 3-4 acres of swamp (maybe more) with a larger lake maybe 3/4 mile away off my property.

The area holds birds but I have seen very few on the swamp. I have maybe two spots i can plant but I'm looking for something that can be planted in the shallows.

My biggest problem is that I can't do anything to control the water level so I have to hope the water level drops enough during the summer to plant.

My two questions are (1) What are some suggestions as far as seed goes, maybe something submersible (2) Is it worth the effort for a small area that hasn't been a "bird magnet"?

Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2005, 10:07 AM

Default RE: Plot ideas

try duckcentral.com , go under waterplants to see what you could plant. Yeah its worth the try even though there might not be birds there now. You have to give em what they want and then you will get what you want.....

P.S. I hunt flooded timber too, and our grandparents planted duck weed there in the 80's. It's still there and the ducks love it.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:42 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

How much area are ya talkin overall???? Also do you have any feild area ya can till up??? Just wondering..
Old 01-05-2005, 09:47 AM

Try Sago pondweed, wild rice, or any other plants, sold buy J&J transplants. I have a company that does habitat construction and food plot and this is what I recommend. On my 160 acres we planted wild rice and ducksmeal it has worked well.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:03 AM

Duck Weed is the best but make sure you have the right to plant it-it can be invasive.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:47 PM

That's one of the things I really needed to know was the invasive part. I can assume that wild rice is ok but I intend to research it before I plant.

As for tilling, I do have two small areas that I could plant, one in particular that would do well. I want to put some time into the area because it is one of the few places where the pressure would be nil.

I have other areas that I hunt that I intend to try and get some sort food source on, but the pressure on the birds is higher.

Anything not invasive and that would require no tilling would be idea.