Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

2005 Food Plot Ideas (WI)

Old 12-27-2004, 06:43 PM
J B

Default 2005 Food Plot Ideas (WI)

Hello, I need some ideas from my fellow hunters. I just received permission to plant a 2-acre field in southern Wisconsin as a food plot this coming spring. I do not have a picture of the field, but I’ll try to describe it to you. The field is a on a hilltop. From east to west, it’s about 50 yards wide and from north to south, it’s about 200 yds long. The west and north edges of the field run along a wooded finger. There’s a brushy fence line on the east side with a neighbor’s crop field on the other side. There’s a 12 acre field along the south boundary that’s going to be it’s second year of CRP. Unfortunately, this field will be mowed again next year after August 1st to meet the CRP requirements. The open south boundary does allow a lot of sunshine throughout the day, so lack of sunshine will not be a problem. I’d like to offer a high protein food source that attracts and holds deer year around yet keep the neighbors on the east side of me from reaping the rewards of my hard work and money spent. I’d also like to add some cover and food for the local pheasants on my 2 acres. Here’s my plan as of right now (very subject to change). Split the field in three section (20yds x 200yds, 10yds x 200 yds, and 20yds x 200yds). The outside 20x200 sections may be planted in clover (one Biologic and one Whitetail Imperial). The middle section may be planted in corn and left standing until spring. I may also plant something (not sure what) between the rows once the corn gets a jump-start, so it’s thick enough for the wildlife to use it as cover. I’m also looking into Whitetail Imperial’s new Power Plant mixture, Nature’s Own Upland Game Bird mixture, and some warm-season prairie grasses. Has anyone ever planted any of these? Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for my food plot? I’ve planted a few food plots in the last five years, but they have all be less than ½ acre. This is my attempt at a large-scale foot plot and I want to make sure that I do it right. Please let me know what you would do. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2004, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2005 Food Plot Ideas (WI)

I really have not done alot. Seems like you have some good ideas. What I did last year was split about a 1 acre field into oats and Whitetail Extreme. I am planning on tilling up the oats in the spring and planting Chufa and powerplant. I have never planted either of those. The extreme is doing very well. I like the idea of planting something in with the corn. Sounds like it could really hold the birds. Two years ago I planted some of natures own tom turkey mix. I was not very impressed with it. The sorgum never even came up and that is something I really wanted for the pheasants.

As for keeping the neighbors from benefiting GOOD LUCK. Most of the best spots for my plots are near the neighbors. I just have to adjust and realize that the deer move around. They don't live just on my 80 acres.

Another thing I found this past spring was that I did better to mow and use roundup in May then mow and roundup again in July. Then I disk and waited another 2 weeks and disked again. Then I disked and planted 3rd weekend in August and I had almost no weed problem. Two years ago I plowed and planted all in spring and that plot is taken over with weeds. I will have to redo that one this year. It is in Imperial Clover and should have lasted a couple more years.

Hope this helps some. It does seem to me that you have some great ideas. Oh and I hunt north of Richland Center. Where are you hunting?
Old 12-28-2004, 06:57 PM
J B

wihunter402, Thanks for your reply. It sounds like we are in very simular situations. I'm hunting an 80 just outside of Cuba City. My 2 acre food plot will be along my far SE corner (along 3 different neighbors). How did the oats do for you? Is that Whitetail Extreme made by Whitetail Imperial for extreme conditions or am I mixed up? I've also considered chufa, but I'm more interested in feeding deer and pheasants right now. We're also at the far northern range of planting chufa from what I've read. I'm also considering Power Plant. I found another seed company with a comparible product last night (http://www.oakhavenwildlife.com/) too. Last night I read an artical in the Demember issue of Quality Whitetails where a guy in North Central IL has been doubling planting his corn (60,000 seeds/acre vs. 30,000 seeds/acre). He doesn't center his second pass either, so he ends up with 7"-31" rows instead of 38" rows. The tight rows are good for bird cover and knocking off sheds in the winter. The ears will be a little smaller with the higher density planting, but there will be more ears, so it's almost a wash. I really like this idea and I think that I'll give it a try.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:13 PM
J B

Whitetail Imperial's Power Plant has really caught my interest. It's a high volume blend with high protein designed for deer, but the pheasants can also hide and feed in it. Did anyone plant it last year in the nothern states? Do you have any pictures of it after it died? Any pictures in snow? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey JB,
Sorry I haven't been here for awhile. I kind of forgot I had posted here. The oats were great late sept and early oct. I then broke my leg on oct. 23rd and didn't get back out to see how the deer liked them after that. The Extreme that I used is the Whitetail Inst. stuff. I think it will do real well come spring. I will just have to wait and see. I did like planting in the fall. Seems to give it a better start because the weeds never really took off with it. I hope it can stay ahead of the weeds in the spring.
I like the corn idea. I would think that would hold lots of pheasants if you have them in the area. Sure would make it tough on the foxes and yotes to get them. As for the Chufa I just wanted to try it. I'm hoping it will work but if not it is a small bag.