Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose Hunting Question

Old 12-17-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Goose Hunting Question

I am going goos hunting for the first time in a couple of days w/my dad. Neither of us have hunted geese before. We are going to a blind(pit) in a field w/2 dozen decoys. Do we need to be there before day break to set up? Also is there any way I should set the decoys to make it appear natural?
Old 12-17-2004, 11:09 AM

Default RE: Goose Hunting Question

well gand there are no set ways in settin the dekes .... but if i were you id get there in time to have the dekes our and settled in before daylight .... if ya gonna only use 2 doz decoys ya may wanna set them in family groups (4-7 dekes per group) and keep them at least 2-3 feet apart (each deke) set one group downwind of the pit or right around the pit .... one group off to the right of the first group and the other off to the left ..... to make kind of a U-shaped pattern with the dekes ..... if all works out the birds will try to land right in the middle of the U ..... its kinda hard to explain and as i said before there is no set way to place ya dekes ..... id start off like that with that number of dekes .... and if the birds arent wantin to finish right .... just start movin em around to get the pattern that works .... really ya just have to get out there and start doin it ...the more ya do the more ya will learn .... hope that helps a bit ..... good luck i hope yall kill em .... let us know how ya do ..... be safe .... later
Old 12-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Goose Hunting Question

The biggest tip I can give ya is to set up with wind to your back and a nice pocket fot them tp land in front of ya!