Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Camo Question

Old 11-29-2004, 12:54 PM

Default Camo Question

I currently use advantage wetlands camo for duck hunting in Kansas. I have been invited to hunt in timber in Louisiana for a week. My question is how good can ducks see colors? Will my advantage wetlands be too light for hunting timber? Would I be better off getting some max 4hd or mossy oak? thanks
Old 11-29-2004, 03:27 PM

Default RE: Camo Question

Search for this info and this is what I found out.
BASIC DUCK HUNTING INFORMATION
The challenge of duck hunting comes from learning all one can about the feeding and flight habits of these highly intelligent birds, then trying to out-think and deceive them. A second challenge is trying to hit them. Here are a few things to remember all all species of ducks:

Ducks have excellent eyesight. If you can see them, chances are they can see you. High-flying ducks have a special advantage in seeing you or anything unnatural about your decoys or blind.

Never look up at ducks flying over or circling; human faces are especially visible.

Ducks are attracted to decoys by their color as well as their shape and formation.

Select camouflage clothing appropriate to the setting: green for early fall and browns for late fall.

Ducks are mostly concerned with moving objects. Even if you are caught in the open, remain motioneless and the birds may still come within range.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

You would be better off with a little darker camo paterm like the Mossy Oak Break up, Advantage Timber,or Trebarks Superflage. You can get coverup parkas pretty cheap in Mossy Oak Shadow Grass and Natural Gear that would also work fine. Even your Advantage Wetlands will work. You will more than likely just get away with less movement in the lighter stuff.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:57 PM

i believe advantage wetlands would be to dark for a timber hunt. if you want a camo that you would be able to hunt with after you went to louisianna id get some mossy oak shadow grass. it has a good background of treebark but also has some grass in it too. so this way you would be able to wear it back in kansas too.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

WH About said it all, ducks have excellent vision and which includes color. Being still is more important than the camo.