Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Calling advice please

Old 11-17-2004, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Calling advice please

I was never a very serious duck hunter growing up, but now my two sons are really into duck hunting and I need some calling advice.

Our setup is on a side river from a bigger river that connects two ponds. Where we setup is lots of swamp grass, shallow water, about 1 foot. We see ducks alot moving between the main ponds and running the main river. When the shooting starts they come down our way.

Early in the season its mostly wood ducks, as it progresses the woodies get fewer and mallards and blacks come in.

I have never had any luck calling/decoying wood ducks, they seem to just come along the river low and fast and we pass shoot them.

Now however there are mostly mallards and blacks and they want to decoy and are susceptible to calling. So... there lies my problem.

We have mallard decoys, 1 dozen, plus 1 "feeder" decoy (looks like a mallard drake with his head under water feeding) and 1 canadian goose. We set the mallard dekes close in to our blind (water is about 35 yards across) and the goose set off from the ducks.

Last week we were out for the end of the first half of our split season, and on most occassions I could get far off mallards to turn and come our way, mostly they woud either then just pass on by, or circle once and move on. Several times they circled, but not right over us, they were circling down stream from us, with the edge of the circle coming almost over us.

How do I handle the callign on this? I have two mallard calls, one is more high pitched than the other, we also have a mallard feed chuckle call that you use by wigglign in your hand. I can blow basic calls including the chuckle on my calls.

Should I continue to call while they are circling, or just shutup once they turn my way?

Do you think they are not coming all the way in due to my calling, something in the setup or seeing one of us move (my boys have trouble not following the ducks with their heads).

Thanks for any help you can give!!

--Bob
Old 11-18-2004, 09:45 PM

Default RE: Calling advice please

i would first of all make sure yall are well hidden .... and keep checking the whole day as things get exposed during a hunt sumtimes .... make sure the movement while birds are circling is kept to a minimum .... i try to tell the guys i take out to keep their eyes out straight over the decoys .... and they move only after i call the shot ..... but as far as the callin part ..... if ya arent too great at callin sumtimes its best to just shut up once they are headin ya way ..... but experience is ya best teacher .... need to learn how to READ the birds .... give em what they want .... sum birds ill talk all the way to the water ....other birds ill call just enuff to keep em on a string ..... try diff things .... but try cuttin ya callin off when the birds are headin towards ya or circling above ya ..... hit em with the calls if they seem to loose interest .... ya may wanna get with an experienced caller to pick up tips and watch how they work the birds ..... i learned how to call by watchin videos and going out there doing it .... its kinda hard to try to explain how to call ...there is no set pattern ..... would be alot easier talkin to ya bout this rather than typing .... but i hope this helped a bit ..... also ... as far as the woodies .... they dont really decoy too well or respond to callin too well .... just have to scout and be where they wanna be .... altho ya can sumtimes call em right into ya spread .... or if they start to sit down too far out ya can hit em with a lonsome hen call .... comeback ..... or even feed chatter will work at times .... also make sure ya set up so the wind is coming over ya back if at all possible ..... good luck let us know how ya do
Old 11-19-2004, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks!!!

We are learning, and most of all having a TON of fun!! My boys are 12,14 and its fun watching them shoot! we will be out again durin gThanksgiving and I will try to hold off on the calling as long as the ducks are coming our way.

The wind tends to be along the river, usually from our left to right. We mostly have wood duck action early so the kids are now getting a shot of mallards circling for the first time and after basically pass shooting wood ducks its hard for them to hold still while the mallards are circling, well at least they are having fun!!

We are getting shots about 1 out of 3 or 4 groups.

--Bob
Old 11-19-2004, 02:20 PM

cool deal ..... great that ya gettin em out there doing it .... good luck to yall !!!!
Old 11-19-2004, 04:01 PM

My advice is to get a copy of Phil Robertsons video "The Art of Commanding Ducks. This video is one of the best on telling new hunters and even some veterans when to call and how to call. I recommend this video over all others I have seen. I have given copies to both my sons and several friends. I guarantee if you watch and do as he says it will help you to become a better caller.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where can I find that video? Christmas is coming!
Old 11-22-2004, 03:03 PM

cabelas, macks, bass pro, etc
Old 11-29-2004, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

We were out again Saturday, great day for sitting in the blind, sunny no wind, warm temps, bad day for ducks hunting though. We did ok, had mallards flying around slow and steady, we hunted from dark til around 10:00. Calling worked out great, stopped calling if the ducks were doing what we wanted anyway and had several groups try and land in the decoys, some called from pretty far away.

Kids are learning about movement being a killer, but we had fun. Boys got a drake mallard, they are not sure which of them hit it though, so they decided to share it

thanks for the advice, we are having a blast learning.

--Bob
Old 11-29-2004, 09:51 PM

great to hear !!!! congrats .... pat the boys on their backs for me ..... keep up the good work .... have fun and take care