Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Everyone look, I need advice on calling. >

Everyone look, I need advice on calling.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Everyone look, I need advice on calling.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Everyone look, I need advice on calling.

OK guys as you know I am a newbie to this. Ok when I get out in the woods and set up how do I call? (soft,loud,purrs,yelps,ect.) When I get a response what do I do? (call every once in a while, often, everytime he does,ect.) When I see him out about 100 yards and he is hangin up? And if he is at a dead run toward me? I have some ideas about some of these but I want to see what everyone else does. I have watched plenty of shows and I am learning. I just want everyone's opinion. Thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 01:25 PM

Default RE: Everyone look, I need advice on calling.

Buckmasterflex,

If you're crazy enough to get in this then we're crazy enough to help you out. Get a CD or tape of live turkey sounds at different times of the day. I'm not sure but I think one of them is called tree top turkeys or something like that. Listen to how soft or loud they call. READ & WATCH everything you can on turkeys & hunting them. There are multiple hunting sites that offer so called "secrets" to be a great turkey hunter, but what has made every great turkey hunter is learning from their mistakes. All of US who have hunted turkeys have made mistakes & sometimes we still do, thats b/c we dont know it all about every given situation.

I hope this helps a little.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:50 PM

There are no one size fits all methods to hunting turkey. From experience you'll know when to do and what to do and then that won't always work. Birds are individuals like hunters. What one bird like the next one won't. Calling turkeys in is an aquired art that comes from years of practice. Just go hunt and try your luck. Get a buddy who has hunted to go and help you. I start with soft tree yelps after I hear the first bird singing. Then from there I play it by ear, depends on how the turkeys respond. Hope that helps
Old 03-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just keep on reading every thing you can get your hands on and watch a lot of turkey hunting video's. I think the older turkey hunting video's are better and more informative. The newer ones for me are just for entertainment. Those guys aren't turkey hunting they are turkey shooting. They are hunting turkeys that are boarder line tame
Old 03-07-2005, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Bldhound

Buckmasterflex,

Get a CD or tape of live turkey sounds

.....Aint Ever Heard A Dead One...
Old 03-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you guys for the information. I am gonna keep on watching these videos, Where do I get the live turkey sound videos?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:24 PM

www.treetopturkeys.com/

IMO listening to real turkeys is better than listening to someones interpretation of what they think a turkey sounds like.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you bldhound....
Old 03-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

You have to give him what he wants to hear.Figureing out what that is is the tricky part.

I'm still a rookie myself, this will be my fifth season.It's been a heck of a fun learning experience. If you can find an old timer to hunt with go with them a few times, it can really help.

I called a Tom in last year that was with a dominate hen by mimicking the hens really aggressive attitude. We had a cutting war that lasted over twenty minutes finally called her in and he followed,unreal hunt.

Something that really shocked me was how long a real hen will sound off for. They'll yelp or cluck for a long time all you see on some shows is the guy doing a seven or eight and then shut up.I wish more tapes or video's showed the actual footage they get with hens in the field. That was the best thing for me as far as learning how to call.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Now I see that's what the tree top turkey cd is,cool.

Quick Reply: Everyone look, I need advice on calling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.