Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

WATERFOWL food plots?

Old 09-25-2004, 10:13 PM

Default WATERFOWL food plots?

Hey guys i need some info on water fowl food plots, the spots i am planting are a small marsh and a small pond, depth of water ranging from a few inches to 2 feet, i am thinking about wild rice but was wondering if there are any other options that are annuals, i live in southern ontario and major frosts won't come till a month or so can rice be planted now? Also are there any grasses that can be pkanted in shallow water?
Old 09-26-2004, 08:55 AM

Default RE: WATERFOWL food plots?

anyone?
Old 09-26-2004, 09:18 AM

Can't speak for so. Ontario but in Oklahoma Japanese millet is the food of choice. Millet here needed to be sown a month or two ago so I'm sure it's too late up there. Marsh areas would be great for millet. Just toss it out on mud flats. No soil prep required. It needs to be sown where it can start growing before water covers it. Try and sow at a time that your normal water level is low and will come back up after the millet is mature. If your seed lands in water it's done. Maybe this will help for next year.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

rice should have been planted 4-5 months ago, it takes about 120 days to mature. your millets take about 60-70 days. don't even bother trying to plant anything for this year, you'd just be throwing money away and wasting time.

when it gets cool (below 50 degs) plants don't grow very well.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:48 PM

I don't know about Canada, but most of the states have laws restricting baiting or the hunting over bait for migratory game birds. You might want to do some checking before you get yourself in some hot water!
Old 09-28-2004, 01:08 PM

Food plots and baiting are really two different things. Baiting is generally the placing of a food product (salt, grain, feed) that can be immediately eaten. Planting something that must grow to produce a crop is usually not considered baiting. If this is not the case, then the state is breaking the law big time each year when they spend thousands of dollars to plant millet on public land. However, Texxan, you are right that a person should thoroughly check what is legal and what is not for their particular area.