Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Food plots

Old 10-09-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Food plots

I just acquired some new land, about 80 acres,not too long ago and was thinking about putting a food plot on it. Many people have told me to go with Biologic and others say it didnt do anything for them. So which product would you suggesst and how much do you think i should plant (in acres)?
Thanks in advance

Old 10-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Food plots

when, what time of year, and what area? in some places you may be late, even though i have seen winter wheat and rye sprout in nov on concrete[:-]
Old 10-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have had fairly limited success with Biologic. It is the only well known variety that I have tried so I would have reservations about suggesting anything else at this point.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I planted plots of biologic last year.and the turkeys destroyed it before the deer could even get to it
Old 10-09-2005, 07:06 PM

I want it to be in place for next season and I hunt in Arkansas. So i thought about putting it out in the spring.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

you could probably scratch up an area right now and have wheat and rye make it, not really sure what you should plant in your zone for a spring/summer plot, check with your farmers co-op, they will know what will and wont work good, time and rate to plant, also a soil sample would be a good idea, like i mentioned before i haven't seen very many places that wheat & rye wont grow,, best of luck
Old 10-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

How about that "No-till" mix I see promoted so heavily on the forums these days? Would it be a viable option?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

How about that "No-till" mix I see promoted so heavily on the forums these days? Would it be a viable option?
I purchased 2 different brands of "No-Till" this Fall. "Easy Plot" and Bio-Logic "Secret Spot" and am disappointed by both. Very little production, and I actually did till up the ground pretty good, added fertilizer, and it gets 6-8 hours of sun each day.

The generic stuff I got at my local farmers feed store has worked out much better.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:53 PM

I planted the Secret SPot......its not biologic..... its WTI.......

it came up pretty good and turkeys already destroyed part of it
Old 10-11-2005, 12:32 AM

Alot of the experts say to plant 60% of your acerage in plots . Now to me thats a little much . It depends what kinda of topograhy of land you have . IMHO , Its not how much but where . Now sure you have to plant more than just a little patch , but location is just as important as size . Ecspecially if you will be hunting over it in the fall. If you have outdoor channel watch deer and deer hunting . If not do a google search for plots and quality deer management .