Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

CALLING TIPS

Old 12-16-2003, 02:30 AM

Default CALLING TIPS

Anybody have any good calling tips for ducks or geese??What about favorite calls? I just got a Graveyard dead short reed goose call today and can do feeding murmurs quite good already but can't seem to get it to cluck , seems like it's to high pitched, any hints??
Old 12-16-2003, 08:05 AM

Default RE: CALLING TIPS

I like Haydel calls, specifically the double reed mallard and the H-81 Canadian honker.

As far as tips are concerned, go to the T.R. Tips Forum and he's listed lots of usefull calling info.

As for me, I tend to call only when necessary. The less is more theory. The birds get hit hard by calls in my area which makes them very leary.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:00 PM

txbow,I hear the Haydels are pretty good but there are none in my area.I ordered a couple calls from Winglok, the vari-tone double reed duck and the delrin goose, I'll see how they sound,I've been hearing great comments about Winglok. I looked into T.R.'s forum and found some useful info, but nothing pertaining to what to volcalize into the calls to get the results of clucks, feeding murmursetc., which is what I'm looking for.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:38 PM

Here's the sequence that came with the Haydel call......

This is the basic series used in contest calling as well as in most hunting situtiations. The O's are to be held out longer than the X's. The X's show the relationship of a call to a meusical staff in which the notes taper off smoothly. Always start at the top of the staff and go down. Never build up then down.

Series #1 is a highball or hailcall. Blow this twice when ducks are far off.

xxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x

Series #2 is a greeting call to be used when ducks start getting closer. This is a three part call and may be mixed up in any different compination.

A. x B. x C. O
x x x
x x x
x x
x x
x
x

Series #3 is a feed call or chuckle. Say the words Kitty or Giddy. Part B is the lonesome hen call. Blow individual lazy quacks 2 to 3 seconds apart. never blow quick excited quacks every second like the X notes. This is a distress call. Part C is a contended call. Mallards often do this before sunrise and during feeding. Use these calls when ducks are circling.

A. KITTY-KITTY B. OOO C. O
x
x

Series #4 is the comeback call. It is used when ducks flare off. Blow this series a little faster and get excited with it. This may be combined with Series #5.

O
x
x
x
x
x
x

Series #5 is the pleading call to beg the duck to comeback (series #4) doesn't work. If ducks turn, go back to the greeting call and or lonesome hen call.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

HUH?
Old 12-26-2003, 09:18 AM

Sorry Mallard, the formatting didn't come out right in the post. I'll email a copy to you of the instructions if you want.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:59 AM

Go to http://www.kwackwacker.com/sounds.htm.You can listen to all the duck calls there.