Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

New duck hunter question

Old 11-29-2003, 06:43 AM

Default New duck hunter question

I am new to duck hunting. In fact only been one time now and what I would like to know is what would you veterans suggest for leading the birds. I went yesterday morning and did not hit one bird. I am shooting a Beneli Nova and was shooting 3 inch #4 shot. I just wonder if I was leading too much or not enough. I was leading about a foot from the bird at a range of about 40 yard I guess. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:20 AM

Default RE: New duck hunter question

At 40 yards you need to get out in front of them more than a foot. 4 or 5 feet would be better. 40 yards is about the max range you want to be shooting ducks at to begin with. I would suggest letting the birds work closer, giving you a better chance at killing them. You also need to make sure you are following through with your shot. Swing through the bird and don' t stop after you fire...keep swinging. You will be suprised at how much this will help. Good luck!

YLM
Old 11-29-2003, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

40 yards is too far for a new duck hunter to be shooting. 40 yards is more than I cae to shoot........I prefer to decoy them in and smash them when they try to land.

You won' t come close leading a duck a foot at 40 yards..............

Like yellowlabman said bout 5 to 6 and see how that goes...........but I' d suggest letting them decoy in though.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:36 PM
Typical Buck

if you are missing them, try leading them some more. most folks miss behind. sometimes on a really fast moving bird, i lead way way out in front, a ridiculously large amount in front, something like 15~30 feet, and they drop dead right there.