Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

1st goose of the season!

Old 10-15-2019, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default 1st goose of the season!

Hey everyone!

Went goose hunting with a buddy of mine. Called in a pair and had them land right in the decoys. We shot 2 Canada Geese. He got one and I got one. The one I got is in the picture.

Processed, it weighs 6.8 pounds. Picture is attached.

A good hunt!

Jared
Attached Thumbnails 1st goose of the season!-canada-goose.jpg   1st goose of the season!-canada-goose-processed.jpg  
Old 10-16-2019, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations.

I plucked a goose once, just once. Lots of work. Will never do it again. I now breast the bird. Same with a turkey. Plucked one. Never again !!
Old 10-16-2019, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I have to agree with you there. These things are very hard to pluck. I only do a whole bird every once in awhile. Every other one, I just pull out the breast meat for pulled Goose sandwiches.

Jared
Old 10-16-2019, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Congratulations.

I plucked a goose once, just once. Lots of work. Will never do it again. I now breast the bird. Same with a turkey. Plucked one. Never again !!
I did it twice. Changing methods-thinking I had done the first one wrong.

Nope. It was tough. And I raise and butcher chickens every year. They are no where near as tough as geese.

-Jake
Old 10-17-2019, 02:16 AM
Spike

very nice, congrats.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I had no idea how many needle bones are in wild turkey legs until I cooked one whole. I have only one friend who cooks wild turkey legs. Boils them, strains the bones, and makes soup. It is wonderful. Just too much work for me. Friend doesn't hunt, but cooks game better than most.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

I actually used to be quite a turkey hunter when I lived in North Idaho. I know what it's like. What I usually did was I just skinned the turkey. After that, when I baked it whole, I just covered it and bacon and aluminum foil to keep it moist. Stuffing it full vegetables also helped.

I actually had to stop turkey hunting when I moved down to South Idaho. There's just not that many down here. I had to switch to duck and Goose, which I believe to be just as fun.

Jared