Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose Meat

Old 03-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Spike

Default Goose Meat

What do you guys do with your goose meat? We usually make a ton of jerky but this year we (4 of us) took our goose meat to the locker. We had 150 pounds, got sticks, summer sausage and hot links made. Got them back today, very tasty!
Old 03-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

I bet it was...i am not really a waterfowl hunter, but a friend gave me some goose stix he had made here in Montana, dang, it was better then any of the deer, elk or buff stix I have had, enjoy your bounty.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

I used to make jerky, but its a lot of work. So I found a recipe after making my smokehouse and now I cure all of the goose meat. I cure for ten days and then cover with some onion and garlic and a lot of rough ground black pepper and then smoke most all day. Then slice it thin and vacuum seal and just eat it like finger food.

This was the original try out where I tried deer and goose. The goose was actually better cured than the deer. I am curing and smoking deer hams and then brown sugar glazing them. The rest I grind for bologna.

Here is the cure goose.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:13 AM
Spike

Goose gets a bad rap, but it's actually pretty good. No one can tell the difference between my venison and goose jerky, they about choke on it when I tell them it's goose. I agree about the goose sticks, just the same if not better than venison, same goes for the summer sausage and hotlinks.

Rob, that pic looks good. Think I will try that next year. Thanks guys
Old 03-06-2018, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I make "rattle goose" which is a knock off of a beef tenderloin dish made by a former, local restaurant. Theirs was called rattlesnake. No idea why. Maybe the size of meat pieces.

Goose breasts are cubed in golf ball sized pieces and soaked in water to remove blood. After a couple days and several water baths, the meat is breaded then deep fried. Served with a butter based dipping sauce. Mmmmmm good.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:13 PM
CGD
Spike

I usually send mine to the butcher shop to be made into snack sticks, summer sausage, and bacon. I will keep a few back to do some jerky and shredded BBQ just like pulled pork.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

The recipe that I've heard a lot is:
Put the goose in a pot of water with a rock. Boil it till the rock gets soft, throw away the goose and eat the rock.
That's just what I heard
Old 04-11-2018, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
The recipe that I've heard a lot is:
Put the goose in a pot of water with a rock. Boil it till the rock gets soft, throw away the goose and eat the rock.
That's just what I heard
Old 04-13-2018, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

At least two of you haven't had properly prepared goose meat.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rogerstv
I make "rattle goose" which is a knock off of a beef tenderloin dish made by a former, local restaurant. Theirs was called rattlesnake. No idea why. Maybe the size of meat pieces.

Goose breasts are cubed in golf ball sized pieces and soaked in water to remove blood. After a couple days and several water baths, the meat is breaded then deep fried. Served with a butter based dipping sauce. Mmmmmm good.
I try and bleed most the animals i take, my Grandfather swore by this for tastiness of meat. Birds I take i usually soak in a salt and water brine for a day like you mentioned. I am thinking of taking a couple toms this spring and having some stix made of those after eating the goose stix i mentioned earlier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.