Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose Meat

Old 04-13-2018, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

I've soaked goose breasts for a week to ten day in just pain water and change it often. I have a special pot in the laundry room cabinets near the basment fridge just for this. The water is red partially most days. Freeze them in vac packs and smell the blood that drains out and you'll know why to soak it A LOT!
Old 04-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bet it does stink after festering in unrefrigerated water feeding bacteria for a week to 10 days. I would never eat that. I would never even think of soaking them that long in refrigerator.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

I keep the pot when NOT being used in the cabinet, but its in the fridge when being used. The refrigerator is 34° and that is plenty of time for fresh meat. Beef hang for a week sometimes before being cut. They dry age beef for a month sometimes.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Beef hangs dry, not in water, it is apples and oranges. I hang my deer halves in a walk in cooler for 6 or 7 days, however it is not in water. Water is a good medium for bacteria to grow and multiply, even refrigerated, hence the stink, blood does not stink. I still would not eat goose breasts soaked in water for 10 days.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:22 AM
CGD
Spike

I also usually soak for 24 hours to bleed them out before I vacuum seal them for the freezer
Old 04-14-2018, 11:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will soak mine overnight in water with a little salt to help remove the blood clots if there were pellets in the breast.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

It makes pretty good jerky if you have a lot of it.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by archeryrob
I've soaked goose breasts for a week to ten day in just pain water and change it often. I have a special pot in the laundry room cabinets near the basment fridge just for this. The water is red partially most days. Freeze them in vac packs and smell the blood that drains out and you'll know why to soak it A LOT!
I agree. Soak mine in salt water for several days. Change the water baths each day. Removes a significant amount of blood. Helps to remove the "game" flavor. My goose is almost as good as beef.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

What is Game flavor? I have been hunting for over 50 ears and I keep hearing that word. Rabbit tastes like rabbit, pheasant tastes like pheasant, deer taste like venison, doves taste like doves etc.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:30 PM
CGD
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
It makes pretty good jerky if you have a lot of it.
Made a batch of teriyaki jerky on the smoker a month ago that turned out really good, it was a big hit with friends and family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.