Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

evolved shooting?

Old 09-21-2003, 09:39 PM

Default evolved shooting?

I just started bird hunting again after a 15 yr.layoff. got 3 mallards yesterday but felt i should' ve gotten more. Iused to shoot with plain barrel but now use ribbed.also now have to use steel instead of lead. would either of these make any real difference or have I just gotten that bad with a scattergun?
Old 09-22-2003, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: evolved shooting?

Yes, the vent rib will make a difference. I use to shot a plain barrel and still have some probs with the vent ribs. And yes, steel shoot different than lead did. You can' t shot as far and it just doesn' t kill like lead. Unless they are decoying in, they are harder to kill. Steel doesn' t have the knockdown power of lead. You can shoot a duck and he keeps flying, he may be dead just doesn' t know it yet.

There' s nothing wrong with your shooting, just the stuff you are forced to use these days..........
Old 09-22-2003, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

what sized pellets, velocity, and choke are you using?

i have a feeling you are using #4, in the mid 1200' s out of a full or mod choke. try using 3" #2, moving at least 1500fps out of a mod or cyl.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:31 PM

At Macks you can get Winchester Experts, BB, 1,2, or 4, at 1550 fps for $84.80 with a 30 dollar mail in rebate. Thats $5.48 a box. Tell me where you can beat that deal!! I got a case last week (actually had a buddy pick them up for me) and I split the case up in 2' s and 4' s.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:20 PM

unfortunately my A5 only has full choke but I' ve been using drylocks and federal classic,both in BB. just picked up some fasteel in #1,I' ll see if it helps.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:28 PM

Plainsman, You might want to reconsider using that full choked A5 with steel shot. You can quite easily bulge the barrel. Have a good gunsmith open it up to mod. before you use steel again, or get a Rem. Exp. 870 for your duck hunting. Good reason to go gun shopping. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the concern Bronco.I' ve decided this is the A5' s last season so i don' t want to rework anything. looked into the barrel-bulge problem and have heard that although it does happen, it' s very rare.A5 is belgium 1955 so it' s best to retire in org. condition in my opinion. Now leaning towards something in the 3 1/2" catagory for next year. old A5 will get blued and refinished stock then a much deserved rest.
thanks again Bronco