Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 What to do early season with no open fields? >

What to do early season with no open fields?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What to do early season with no open fields?

Old 09-05-2003, 05:23 PM

Default What to do early season with no open fields?

I live in new jersey the early canada goose season opened on sept 1, i only started goose hunting this past winter but all my research paid off we did very well for our first time. now for the question, we hunted these big beautiful open fields some corn some soybean.. now i went out opening day to my favorite spot and it was all tall weeds next spot the same. is there any technique to hunting fields like this or do i have to hunt water Or wait untill these fields are plowed by the state. this is all state WMA so i cant go clearcutting anything any help would be great. thanks all
Rory

Old 09-06-2003, 12:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What to do early season with no open fields?

Cardinal waterfowling rule hunt where the brids are. If your fields are over grown or crops still up chances are geeses won' t use them find where they are right now in a harvested or plowed field then there' s the task of getting permission for these new fields and of course it' s always better to have to many spots to hunt than to few.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:09 AM
Fork Horn

Water would also work very well granted you state allows you to hunt geese during early season over water. Some places do and some laces don' t I know a couple years agao here they wouldn' t allow you to hunt over water for the early season but the past few years they have changed their minds. Acctually I prefer to hunt them over water. I don' t know why it' s just as productive as fild hunting, I guess I just like hunting over water.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:14 PM

I do also enjoy hunting over water however i am all set to duck hunt on water but all my goose shells are never gonna work on the water. and i can never afford to buy a whole new set of goose decoys for water hunting.. as for going where the geese are i have scouted extensively and found them to be in all my neighbors front yards childrens parks and school football fields[:@].. even all the private property i hunt is still unharvested and overgrown.. i guess i will wait untill regular season maby next year i will buy some goose floaters i only have 2 for my duck spread..
thanks for the info
Rory
Old 09-07-2003, 01:18 PM

Popatop, you can go to your Home Improvement center and buy some of the pieces of closed cell foam tubes that are used to insulate water pipes. These tubes are cut on one side so that you can slip them on over pipes. Well you can also slip them on the bottom edge of your field shell s and you now have a shell floater. drill or punch 3 or 4 holes around the bottom edge and use some black electric ties to keep them on when you put the water. It works, so try it you may like it. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:42 AM

That is a great Idea. I was in the same situation. goose floaters are expensive!! Thank you for the tip!!! I' ll try that
Old 09-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

That is a really good idea!!! I love these boards.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:52 AM

jlb66 is right, you' ve got to go where the birds are.

drgildy, that' s a great idea. I' ve got a great spread for puddlers but my goose spread needs some work. I was gonna spend the money on some floaters last week but waited in hopes of getting a better price.

I' m gonna give this a try first.

Thanks.