Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 without open fields what are my options? >

without open fields what are my options?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

without open fields what are my options?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default without open fields what are my options?

In theareas I am huntingthere are no open fieldsto draw the birds to or attract them for feeding or strutting.There's mostlytall pines, a goodbit of oak stands mixed through out and old training/logging roads that wind all over. Iam seeing tracks (saw birds, 3 or4,feedingthrough the woods one morning)and have found 2 dusting bowls. I haven't had any luck with the shock gobbles early (tried 1 hr. before sun up), haven't found roosting area yet and have only heard 2distant gobbles at first light. I know there are birds but just don't know what tactics totry with the terrain I have. Forgot, there is a power line that runs through 2 areas, just because it's more open than woods is that a natural draw for the birds in the mornings or evenings? Should I be going in and setting up early and starting to call (yelps?) before they do, I thought I was supposed to wait and listen for the the birds to start leaving the roost but now am just plain confused. I've read where some folks have success walking/stalking and calling as they go through the day? It seems the more I read the more I am picking up but also the more confused I am getting. I'll appreciate any advice that comes along, Thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: without open fields what are my options?

Power lines and logging roads are great set up areas.
You need to try and locate birds either the night before at fly up, or at the very first light and set up accordingly.
Thecalling part can be pretty complex you just gotta learn by doing.
Sometimes a guy calls too much... then again not enough. There no clear cut rule. This will be my 13th spring and I still second guess some of my moves. Just jump in and keep it fun.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:13 AM

all my turkey hunting has always been pines and hammocks as you speak of.no open areas , just roads like you. I just go where I see sing over the years.wait till I hear a bird,then go to that bird and set up.learn by doing.just go and listen to the hens you hear and do what they do.
check the power lines if you don't hear a bird.if you see birds,drop back into the cover and get to within 100 yards or so and setup and call a few times to see if you gat an answer,then if you do.got to work.work the lines at flyup time and listen.you get on to gobble at dark,then at dawn,you got the spot to go.

good luck.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:00 AM

BKE,
The best way to learn IMO is to go with some other turkey hunters on a hunt or two. If you do not know any experienced hunters personally, then the solo route can be tough. I see you are from Ga, do you know of this website? http://forum.gon.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12 If I were you I would go on there and introduce myself a new turkey looking for some veterans to assist you. There is a lot of good guys on that site and I bet you will find one close to your town who would be willing to hunt with you. If you have doubts about showing a stranger your track of land find a some public property nearby first and see if you can find anyone to help you out on the public land, but if you think you can trust them offer them to assist you on your private land with the possibilty of a double.

If you just want to go solo then get some videos. I like Primos "the Truth" as it does have some instructional stuff on there. If you have the "outdoorchannel" set the DVR there are a lot of turkeys shows on right now.

Now to answer some of your questions, As far as finding there roost I also do what homer said about finding them in the evening. They like to roost around creeks, rivers, swamps if you have any of these areas. As for calling to them while they are in a tree, most guys will use a tree yelp which is like a yelp but quiter, less excited. Then once they hit the ground the yelps start to pick up with volume and excitement. Now as for the walking and stalking. This is just my opinion what the average turkey hunters does. Set up about 80-100 yards from a roosted gobbler. Once first light hits do a few soft yelps to let other know you are there. Birds fly down, reals hens and yourself start calling. If your good and/or lucky the tom comes your way...Most likely he gets with the other hens. You then try to call a little more excited, and copy the cadence of the boss hen hopefully you can piss her offand she will come in, the tom will follow. If this fails and you hear all the noise going the other way, you can try to stalk around them and get in front of where you think they are headingthen start more light calling. If they dodge you or bust you, eventually the hen will leave the Tom's to nest, eat or whatever those women do, This is typically around lunch time. Now is a good time to start calling again, if that Tom is still close and thinks you are the same crazy hen from earlier he may come in totally silent, so you just have to have confidence. Once again if you are lucky he will gooble at you. Wait 3-5 minutes and call again, if he answers is he further away? same place? or closer? Then you have to decide if you need to circle again, wait silently while scatching leaves, or keep calling. There is no correct answer here, each can react different on a given day. So you try all methods until you get him, spook him, or loose him. If your still birdless you can relocate and try to find a different gobbler, or just chill and take a nap! Now its time to atleast find more birds and see we they roost so you can back out in the AM and try it all again, learning from your previous hunt.

Sorry for the long post... Just trying to be helpful. If you want to come up to MI I would be more than happy to show you what I know!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:04 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies as I've gotten good info from all. Muskeon jim, thanks for the link, I've added it to my turkey folder.