Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Super Magnum Decoys

Old 08-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ruddyduck
It means exactly what it states.

I've hunted big water to mud puddles for waterfowl in 9 states in almost 43 years of waterfowlingwith 90% of that oe public waters. Make an investment in quality decoys once and own them for a lifetime. If you do you'll find one doesn't need the lastest wizbang offerings from 3 1/2" shells to mojo's and super mags.
LMAO!! If you have hunted waterfowl for that long, you should know that 3 1/2 inch shells are better.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

ROTFALMAO I guess one needs 3 1/2" shells if they can't draw birds into 40 yards or less or a poor wing shot.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Ducks and Geese cannot gauge size. Their eyes sit on the side of their heads enables them to see out of each eye seperately, unlike our eyes which sits on the front of our heads giving us an ability to judge distance and size. There is a word for this, unfortunately, my senior moment prevents this. Try driving with one eye closed is the best example. Very difficult to judge how far away a speeding car is approaching. Larger decoys are seen at a greater distance, perhaps giving you a better opportunity to draw to your spread. Mixing sizes in my experience have little effect on disturbing incoming birds. Rember, there are six or seven sizes of Canadians, ranging from the "Quacker", the size of a mallard, to the Giant, weighing in at over seventeen lbs.
IMHO
Old 08-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ruddyduck
ROTFALMAO I guess one needs 3 1/2" shells if they can't draw birds into 40 yards or less or a poor wing shot.
Thats why I use a 20 gauge for all of my waterfowl. We don't take a shot unless they are feet in your face. My statement about the the 3 1/2 inch shells was sarcasm.

I'm still not sure what you meant about the magnum shells. I run about 12 dozen big foots, and 17 dozen different types of shells. I never pull out the big old magnums unless there is snow on the ground or unless we are hunting the ice. When I use them it is always with great success. I'm not sure why they work under those circumstances so well but they do.