Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Gonna hunt the Dakotas this falland need some info >

Gonna hunt the Dakotas this falland need some info

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Gonna hunt the Dakotas this falland need some info

Old 04-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default Gonna hunt the Dakotas this falland need some info

I'm going to hunt the Dakotas for waterfoul this fall and need to know what area is the best for do it your selfers. I hope some of you have hunted out there. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks;
Old 04-10-2009, 07:02 AM

Default RE: Gonna hunt the Dakotas this falland need some info

I have hunted South and North Dakota. If you are planning on South Dakota, you need to apply for a lottery drawing by early June. You cannot count on getting a permit. In NoDak, a license purchase is all you need.

The biggest problem in NoDak is getting a motel room near your hunting area. Devils Lake, Jamestown, Minot, Carrington, Steele, Ellendale, etc. have motels but getting room without an advance registration can be difficult. Public land and walk in land is available, so there is alwyas a place to hunt, but some areas near the towns can be pushed very, veryhard. Also, be careful when go plan to go. Early is great, but crowded. Late can be fantastic, but a major cold wave could push all the birds out in a minute. Going in the middle of the season before the migrants arrive might find youstaring at an empty sky.

Scouting is the key, as it is everywhere. And be prepared for some very longwalks to get to best spots. No boat is needed. I have never used one.

All in all, it is a great experience. I go every year and I typically don't shoot more than 3-4 birds, but that is only becauseI don't need more than that. I just like to see NoDak every fall.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Isn't NoDak a state you can hunt private land as long as there are no posted signs? It used to be but maybe they have changed the laws?

There was an article in Field and Stream about this last year. A couple guys just took off and hunted ND. They scouted and when the found the ducks they stopped and asked permission and were rarely denied. Check the archives on the Field and Stream website and you should be able to find the article. It would be very helpful to you.

I live in Western South Dakota and there aren't a lot of places to hunt out here for waterfowl. The Missouri River down around Vermillion and Yankton is great waterfowl hunting but you need a boat capable of handling the river and current. I think border rules apply down there. If you put the boat in on the SD side you can hunt the NE side and vice versa. The license in NE can be bought over the counter.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

This should help:

http://www.sdgfp.info/index.htm

Contact Us:
South Dakota Game Fish and Parks
523 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501

Send us E-Mail:

Wildlife Division -- [email protected]
Parks and Recreation -- [email protected]