HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gonna hunt the Dakotas this falland need some info
Old 04-10-2009, 07:02 AM
BadgerSteve

Default RE: Gonna hunt the Dakotas this falland need some info

I have hunted South and North Dakota. If you are planning on South Dakota, you need to apply for a lottery drawing by early June. You cannot count on getting a permit. In NoDak, a license purchase is all you need.

The biggest problem in NoDak is getting a motel room near your hunting area. Devils Lake, Jamestown, Minot, Carrington, Steele, Ellendale, etc. have motels but getting room without an advance registration can be difficult. Public land and walk in land is available, so there is alwyas a place to hunt, but some areas near the towns can be pushed very, veryhard. Also, be careful when go plan to go. Early is great, but crowded. Late can be fantastic, but a major cold wave could push all the birds out in a minute. Going in the middle of the season before the migrants arrive might find youstaring at an empty sky.

Scouting is the key, as it is everywhere. And be prepared for some very longwalks to get to best spots. No boat is needed. I have never used one.

All in all, it is a great experience. I go every year and I typically don't shoot more than 3-4 birds, but that is only becauseI don't need more than that. I just like to see NoDak every fall.