Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Swimming decoys  do  they help >

Swimming decoys do they help

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Swimming decoys do they help

Old 04-26-2003, 09:39 AM

Default Swimming decoys do they help

I saw a awimming decoy on tv and need some input on wheather or not they help bring more ducks in
Old 04-26-2003, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Swimming decoys do they help

If your hunting on a day when there is no wind then yes swimming decoys do help because it puts movement in your spread. But if it' s really windy you shouldn' t even have to worry about movement because wave action should be enough. I would say if you plan on doing a lot of duck hunting then by all means buy one or even 2, the more movement the better, I have one and the only time I use it is on calm days. Just remember you can never have to many decoys and hunting gadgets. I think they work but you' ll have to try for your self.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:47 AM

Yes, again.
On calm days I use a " bobbing" decoy. It' s a duck butt, and the feet flip water into the air. I normally set it to flip water every few seconds, so the approaching ducks see the splash and come toward it. I works pretty well.
I also carry a bucket of rocks...literally! When the ducks are a couple hundred yards away I' ll throw three or four rocks into the decoys. They will turn immediately toward the splash, thinking that it' s feeding puddle ducks. With a little feeder calling, I got ' em. The rocks sometimes work better than anything else. And they' re free where I live.
I usually take rocks with me in a coffee can, and they' re about the size of a quarter or a fifty cent piece. You don' t need to throw them hard or far either. Good luck!

critch
Old 04-27-2003, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

Critch, awesome tip that' s gona be somthing I definetly do this year. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:07 PM

I use three " Quiver Magnets" . The little hockey puck looking things... Especially on a calm day, I space ' em out in the spread and it creates a lot of interlocking ripples on the water. Also, if you break thin ice (1/4" or less) these will keep the water from icing back over.