Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Can I hunt Ducks?

Old 05-06-2003, 03:35 PM

Default Can I hunt Ducks?

I was just wondering. I live along the Susquehanna River and out in the center of the river are things like wooded islands. My grandfather used to hunt ducks out there without decoys or anything. He and his buddies waited for ducks to fly over and they almost always got some. I was just wondering, is that an alternative way to buying all the expensive gear? Does it work?
Old 05-06-2003, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can I hunt Ducks?

Take a look at my pic 3 topics down under " goose shoot" to answer your question. Yes you can get ducks and geese without all that expensive gear. It is called pass shooting...all you do is find out where the birds are flying in and out of a field for example, get under their flight path, find some cover, ans wait for their arrival. We scouted these geese for a week before we finally decided where abouts to go for them. As it turned out we didn`t even need calls, just camo and lots of shells. The wind plays a big factor in which direction the birds will leave also. I hope this helps some.Good luck with the " pass shooting" .

Ron
Old 05-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya like rbduck said it does work. but you have to have large numbers of birds to do good. i have tried it 1 time and got like 2 ducks but didnt have many fly over. so i have justed used decoys and have done very well with them.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:26 PM

last year, i went out to an island on the kalamazoo river. i put out six decoys, hid my boat and sarted calling. im not a very good caller, but i think just a few decoys helped get em closer. twenty min. later i got my limit on woodies and went after my ducks and my decoys that went down stream cause my lines were to short. i didnt realize it till just now, all the ducks i saw that morning could have cared less about my calling, i was simply pass shooting and was at the right place at the right time.