Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Finally!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally!

Well fellas, the main season opened on friday, and I've hunted 6 or 7 times since then. Every time we go we see ducks. Some days more than others. DNR has checked me 4 times . Earlier this week we managed to get some ducks in the boat/ on the ground.

We had only seen about 6 or 7 ducks this day, but this lonely hooded merganser saw the mojo and landed right in our spread of ringnecks. I can picture him comin into the spread thinkin' "where the minnows at ringnecks!?!" I jumped up to cut 'em on the wing before he got into the spread, but I got my foot caught on something and my buddy shot him on the water before I could get up. I'm glad we got this thing, but I wish I could've got em... like some of yall know I've been beggin for one of the pretty things on my wall. Weird thing about this duck is that we shot him on the saltwater.

I shot this drake woodie on tuesday morning. The skeeters were terrible... we've had a warm front come through and its been around low of 60 high of 75 for the past couple of days. Anyway, shootin time rolled around, and no ducks because of the thick fog. About 20 minutes later, two diving ducks lit about 50 yards down from our spread and hung out. They left and we didn't see anymore ducks until about 7:45. The fog had cleared up just a little bit. We heard some geese way off, and we did some single honks and put our head down to listen for a response. I looked up and I saw two woodies committed just north of our spread. Everything was on autopilot. I didn't say anything to let my buddy know that ducks were in the spread, I just shot. I dropped the drake with one shot and the hen began to flare. I was waiting for my buddy to shoot but he was having safety problems. I shot at her and hit her but she flared higher. My buddy finally pulled off two and crippled her. We wade through chest deep mud to go chase her down and finish her.

And just for kicks, heres one of me during the early season in November. It was pretty friggin cold. That was 3:30 AM in 20 degree weather. Everything was frozen... my gun, my waders, my phone screen, my calls, etc...

Old 12-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Finally!

congradulations on gettin u some.. hope u kill u some more good luck
Old 12-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

oh yea really pretty wood duck.. full plumage.. very beautiful duck
Old 12-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The SCDNR is amazing.... I hunted ducks in SC for four years and probably got checked 75% of the time I hunted public rivers/public water.

I've been duck hunting in VA for 20 years and I think I've been checked a total of four times by VA game wardens, three times by fed game wardens (two hunting one fishing) and a couple times by VMRC and the Coast Guard (all of those fishing).
Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go Chris. Looks like your buddy was the lucky one this year with that beautiful hoodie.

Keep up the work, and post pics!!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!! You guys be careful in that deep mud. That chit can be dangerous! It feels good to hear about you young guns doing so good!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats. Those are some nice birds.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys!

Yeah the SCDNR is always on patrol. I've known most of the guys/gals that check me for a long time. Most are friendly, but you get the few who are just jerks for no reason.

And Luckydog trust me I'm bein as careful as possible crossin that mud! It scares the crap out of me when I do it!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:19 AM

Nice ducks, thoose are awesome.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:21 AM

im jealous! your season is just starting and ours ended two weeks ago here in wisconsin