Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Froze Over

Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Froze Over

Anybody else getting froze over?

Went to one of my favorite lakes to find it completely froze over except the moving water in one small inlet (the way I get to the lake). I setup my spread and seen a good number of ducks piling into another area about 400-500 yards away. I decline hunting today, in order to do some scounting.

I found the ducks, and OPEN water they are on. Tomorrow should be a good shoot. I sure hope it doesn't freeze up before tomorrow. If not, I guess I'll be chip, chip, chippin' away ice.

Seen a good 40-50 Mallards, and some sweet divers that were in this hothole.

Anybody else froze over?
Old 12-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Froze Over

We've had freezing temps here for the past 2 and a half weeks, but the only thing thats been frozen over are the puddles, grass, and cars

Thats unfortunate... I hope tomorrow works out better for ya buck. Better bring the axe just in case!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

Don't do too much hunting over water here. But we have 3-4 inches of snow on the ground, and today we hunted a corn field with patches of field so dug up by geese they were completly bare of snow...we shot 4 tonight, and going back tomorrow morning. But I know what you mean, it's getting cold up here.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:11 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I got froze out of all places lake Michigan! The small boat launch harbor was froze good. Today Sunday is the last day here - too bad as finally there are good numbers of old squaw, bluebills and a few goldenye out there.

Guess I'll take the gas out - pull the battery and put on the ole cover to store it - also the little 14 ft rig......

JW
Old 12-07-2008, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bet it is cold over there in WI. I have got 8 degrees F right now, all the lakes are froze over here in MI too.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Spike

WE HAVE BEEN HUNTING THE NIAGARA RIVER AND THE WEATHER HAS NOT BEEN HELPING. HAD A LOT OF SHEET ICE COMING DOWN AND TAKING THE DEKES WITH IT. STILL HAVE TILL SUNDAY. GOOD LUCK
Old 01-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

yup, central NY two of my smaller finger lakes have froze over. I think there was a few open spots on conesus lake, i set up on shore today in a pool size open water for the evening hunt, not sure where they were coming from but still a few hundred divers and a few mallards. Called in two geese without decoys, but were just a tad out of range i thought. hopefully that spot stays open I need a morning hunt again
Old 01-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Kentucky really hasnt had all that cold of weather lately but were gettin in now so i imagine some of my slews are goin start freezing... but thats y i got a ice eater..
Old 01-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just the opposite from us. It was 76 yesterday. I can probably count the number oftimes it has gotten below 32 this seasonon one hand. It has been a mild winter so far for even down here. It has been some crazy weather. At least I haven't had to break ice a single time this year like you guys. Our coldest mornong has been 22. Two days later it was 70. We have to the end of Jan. to hunt, so send those ducks south.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

We were ice fishing before christmas for the first time in a long while. then a week later the temps were in the 50's and everything opened up and now it is freezing down again. Why can't mother nature make up her mind.