Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Goose hunting, calling problems. >

Goose hunting, calling problems.

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose hunting, calling problems.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:54 PM

Default Goose hunting, calling problems.

Ok 1st off im new to goose hunting the past few years. I have 2 dozen shells, 6 full body bigfoots with flocked heads, and 6 floaters, flag, Have avery laydown blinds, ect. Now my problem.... Im not TOO bad at calling. I just do alot of clucks, and try to sound like multiple geese. Now.... the problem is out of me and my friends, im the only one that knows how to use a short reed call. I use a meatgrinder, and can get it to sound pretty good. My buddy has a flute, and its too deep and sounds bad. I usually tell him to shut up. LOL. I hunt in PA, near middlecreek wildlife area/lake, and the area there gets swamped with geese. Where I hunt, they are far and few between. All the hunters here got all the good farms near the wildlife area, so we are stuck on state game lands farther away. We have boats so will do some hunting on some lakes/rivers. Now... Another questions. With only 3 dozen or so dekes, how should be we setting them up? And how should i be calling... say when we see a flock in the distance. What call should i do to get them to turn? Then what call to keep them comming? What to do if they turn? I think the "come back" call is a long honk right? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2008, 01:15 PM

Default RE: Goose hunting, calling problems.

Try a "J" into the wind and leave plenty of room for the geese to land to try to turn the geese you can try a flag it tends to work pretty well here, but some geese just have other thing on their mind and you are not going to get them to turn. The "comeback call" is more of a too-it-wha sound with a longer drawn out sequence at the end.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

my suggestion to you on calling is to buy the Bad Grammar DVD.. Well worth $20. It will help you with every known call to a goose!!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:05 PM

I WOULD SAY THE WAY YOU SHOULD POSITION YOUR DECOYS DEPENDS ON THE FIELD YOUR HUNTING TRY TO STAY IN THE MIDDLE IF THERES A LOW SPOT DROP THE DEEKS INTO IT. THE OTHER KEY IS STAY DOWN STAY HID YOU HAVE TO BE VERY WELL HID THEY CAN SEE YOU A MILE AWAY. TRY AND CALL JUST A LITTLE TO MANY PEOPLE OVER CALL AND SPOOK THE BIRDS. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The problem isn't your calling (at least, I don't believe so.. but without hearing it... heck it might be). Nor is it your decoys.

The problem is your location.

You are hunting September geese. Resident birds. For 365 days of the year, these birds roost in the same place, fly to the same place and come back to the same place. They know every square inch of their environment. They know where geese are and geese are not. I have hunted with some EXTREMELY talented goose callers (I'm no slouch myself, but I wouldnt' call me talented) and no matter how good your decoys and calling, if you aren't ON THE X with resident birds, you aren't going to kill anything but time.

There are two ways to kill september geese: 1) be where they want to be, or 2) find their flight lines and hope they are at the tree tops... big shot... tight chokes. Personally, I only opt for #1... and if that isn't available... I go dove hunting.