Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose Calling

Old 11-10-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Goose Calling

So this Year I went on my first Goose hunt with Lethalconnection, we did pretty good for our first time, but next year we are getting into it more, I really want to learn to call, what can you tell me? any DVD's that i can watch to start me off, do you got any suggestions for what call to get? and I dont really have much money to spend, so what do you have to say?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Goose Calling

Buck Gardner Canada Hammer 2. If money isnt an issue, then there's a whole lot of top quality goose calls on the market.....RNT, Foiles, Zink, etc. I would be willing to bet that any of those companies also have instructional dvds available.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:47 PM

Do you know how Primos is for goose calls?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Not familiar with them, I can't imagine the Honky Tonk having a much better sound than the Buck Gardner call. All I can say is ask around. There are always hunters (like me) who love throwing out their opinions. Of course, your budget makes a lot of difference as to what calls are available. I wouldn't spend too much until you gain some proficiency at calling. I have a BG Canada Hammer that I play with and I love it. I just carry it duck hunting with me and try to lure some passing geese down low enough for a shot.....I've been told that it sounds awesome. I guess I just picked up on goose calling a lot easier than duck calling. I even figured out how to make a loud turkey gobble with the call (I was bored). It's def. a good call to look at. The Primos Honky Tonk is in the same price range, but I can't speak for its sound.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:17 PM

Yeah I'm probably going to go talk to somone at the hunting store.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 PM

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

go to cableas web site and go under outdoor info then there will be a sub section called gear lists and under that you will see waterfowl click on waterfowl. then on the left hand side there will be a margin under hunting techniques click on goose calling. it will tell you all the calls you need to know and how they sound
Old 11-14-2007, 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: deerhunter518

go to cableas web site and go under outdoor info then there will be a sub section called gear lists and under that you will see waterfowl click on waterfowl. then on the left hand side there will be a margin under hunting techniques click on goose calling. it will tell you all the calls you need to know and how they sound
Thanks thats going to help alot, but I'm still stuck on what call to buy, I'm probably going tomorrow to buy one, but i still dont know what one to buy
Old 11-14-2007, 07:57 PM

ive bought alot of calls in my day, but by far the best sounding and easiest to work with for the money is the chinook short reed by mclacy. costs like 25 bucks. super sweet sounding call
Old 11-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the best learning videos I watched was a VHS called "Honker Talk" by Shawn Stahl.....may be on DVDnow though.....learned alot from it.

As far as a call..there are so many out there it's hard to tell someone which to buy. definetly get a short reed and atleast some kind of atleast a poly carb call...preferably a acrylic works the best for me. I blow the Foiles line and have always worked for me. I learned along time ago to buy a good call instead of a bunch of cheaper ones that i did not like as much and then ended up selling them or they were given away to young kids.

Quick Reply: Goose Calling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.