Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Funny duck hunting story

Old 06-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Funny duck hunting story

ORIGINAL: Alsatian

This reminds me of another story, this time about my deceased father-in-law. The story was he went out duck hunting locally in his small town in Oklahoma with a friend. Well, as things turned out, as they crept up on the edge of the marsh there were a mess of ducks already sitting on the water. They stood up and let fire on those ducks sitting on the water. Then some men came boiling out of a duck blind they had evidently not seen, very angry that they were shooting their decoys!!!! My mother-in-law had a small cafe that she operated in that same small town, and those duck hunters from the blind came into her cafe for breakfast that morning and were cussing those unknown hunters who had shot at their decoys to my mother-in-law who had already heard the story from her husband!

I would choke slam someone if they pulled that crap on me.

No disrespect to the man who has passed away. but you can get people killed pulling that kind of stuff.

None the less it is kind of funny, reminds me of people tagging a "cow elk" but it was just some guys horse.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:13 PM

well the moral of this story is be sure of wat your shooting at.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Alsatian

Sorry to get you ruffled, mike2355. I wasn't involved in the second event, and no I wouldn't have done that. And I agree with you, these guys were not hunters. Pretty unsporting to take birds sitting on the water. But . . . there is a funny element to that story!!!
Shooting ducks off the water doesn't make you any less of a hunter, but it is in my humble opinion unsportsman like (and legal where I live).
Old 06-30-2008, 08:23 PM

it's illeagal in some states???
Old 07-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: AR 34 eight point

No harm no foul, as long as they learned something, and it sounds like they did.

No foul, just decoys!!!!
[/quote]

I agree!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Alsatian
Something just made me remember an amusing experience I had this year duck hunting. While waiting for shooting light I saw two green winged teal land off to my left about 30 yards. I kept looking ahead but watched the teal sort of out of the corner of my eye. Then I noticed a green winged teal much closer, not more than 5 yards away, sitting very still right next to the edge of the brush! I froze solid. I checked my watch, but it seemed there was another 5 minutes to go for legal shooting. Finally, I decided the time had come and I strode out into the marsh, spashing through the water, ready to lift my gun as the teal took off the water . . . but the bird didn't get up!!! Then I saw that it was a teal decoy that had drifted away from the previous evenings hunt! Joke was on me. Another funny thing was that during the remainder of that mornings hunt I kept looking at that decoy because I felt for sure I had seen it moving.
Good post. I appreciate it
Many thanks to ur post. I love it.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

To put this thread back on track here is a good one that happened to my father and I. One coot flying from our left, one coot flying from our right. Intersection right in the middle of our decoy spread. They collide mid air. Both fall stone cold dead. We couldn't stop laughing the entire morning.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by WhitBri
To put this thread back on track here is a good one that happened to my father and I. One coot flying from our left, one coot flying from our right. Intersection right in the middle of our decoy spread. They collide mid air. Both fall stone cold dead. We couldn't stop laughing the entire morning.
That's great! If I see that I believe that I might be able to die happy.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WhitBri
The truth is they had two birds flying into their decoy spread, they up and shot both, just to find out they were coots, so the concocted this story.

Though it does remind me of one time during our shared pheasant/duck season my dad was walking into the parkinglot when a rooster lifted and flew strait into a tree branch killing itself
Old 10-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huntnteen
The truth is they had two birds flying into their decoy spread, they up and shot both, just to find out they were coots, so the concocted this story.

Though it does remind me of one time during our shared pheasant/duck season my dad was walking into the parkinglot when a rooster lifted and flew strait into a tree branch killing itself
Unfortunately don't have the video to prove it, or I might make some money on it. Speaking a shooting coot does lead me to another good story. Slow day on the marsh nothing in the air, no one shooting. late in the morning there gets to be a ton of shooting going on, but we couldn't figure it out cause nothing was in the air. We pack up head back to the boat ramp and meet up with these guys in a small boat and start a conversation about the slow morning only to be informed they had a great morning shooting these black ducks, and informed us it was amazing as they were told they could shoot 15 of these black ducks a piece by the game warden. Of course the black ducks were coot. We still laugh about the great coot killers.

Quick Reply: Funny duck hunting story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.