Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Funny duck hunting story

Old 06-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Funny duck hunting story

Something just made me remember an amusing experience I had this year duck hunting. While waiting for shooting light I saw two green winged teal land off to my left about 30 yards. I kept looking ahead but watched the teal sort of out of the corner of my eye. Then I noticed a green winged teal much closer, not more than 5 yards away, sitting very still right next to the edge of the brush! I froze solid. I checked my watch, but it seemed there was another 5 minutes to go for legal shooting. Finally, I decided the time had come and I strode out into the marsh, spashing through the water, ready to lift my gun as the teal took off the water . . . but the bird didn't get up!!! Then I saw that it was a teal decoy that had drifted away from the previous evenings hunt! Joke was on me. Another funny thing was that during the remainder of that mornings hunt I kept looking at that decoy because I felt for sure I had seen it moving.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Funny duck hunting story

This reminds me of another story, this time about my deceased father-in-law. The story was he went out duck hunting locally in his small town in Oklahoma with a friend. Well, as things turned out, as they crept up on the edge of the marsh there were a mess of ducks already sitting on the water. They stood up and let fire on those ducks sitting on the water. Then some men came boiling out of a duck blind they had evidently not seen, very angry that they were shooting their decoys!!!! My mother-in-law had a small cafe that she operated in that same small town, and those duck hunters from the blind came into her cafe for breakfast that morning and were cussing those unknown hunters who had shot at their decoys to my mother-in-law who had already heard the story from her husband!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:34 AM

second story pisses me off, i wouldnt go around bragging about that story. Thats how some people die while out hunting, because some "hunters" are stupid enough to not distinguish a decoy from a real bird
Old 06-12-2008, 03:10 PM

did they say ne thing after you shot there decoys??
Old 06-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a kid blast one of my dove decoys off the light line last fall. I guess just like the doves, he didn't mind the monofilliment running up to it, or that the dove was just UNDER the line and not perched a top it.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mike2355

second story pisses me off, i wouldnt go around bragging about that story. Thats how some people die while out hunting, because some "hunters" are stupid enough to not distinguish a decoy from a real bird
You get pissed off to easy. A story about a dead guy pisses you off? The story teller didn't do it, and I would hardly call his story bragging. The fact that no one was hurt, makes it a little funny.

However, we all know how bad it can be when some would be hunters are not careful. The waterfowl community lost a really good dude this year that was a pro-staffer for Avery. While sitting in his blind some yahoo shot at his decoys in the field with a high powered rifle and hit Josh in the head and killed him. I'm glad they caught the guy, but it's hardly any consolation for his family.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

You get pissed off to easy. A story about a dead guy pisses you off? The story teller didn't do it, and I would hardly call his story bragging. The fact that no one was hurt, makes it a little funny.

However, we all know how bad it can be when some would be hunters are not careful. The waterfowl community lost a really good dude this year that was a pro-staffer for Avery. While sitting in his blind some yahoo shot at his decoys in the field with a high powered rifle and hit Josh in the head and killed him. I'm glad they caught the guy, but it's hardly any consolation for his family.
not pissed off and i didnt mean "bragging" per say.. but thinking that story was funny and or amusing enough to post it? I just think those guys that cant distinguish a decoy from live birds are idiots mainly because of a few deaths this past year from idiots shooting into decoys. Along with avery pro staffer josh leger, a few others were killed or shot at in their decoys this past year. I'm sure in every hunters saftey course across the continent, they say "be sure of your target before shooting!"
Old 06-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

not pissed off and i didnt mean "bragging" per say.. but thinking that story was funny and or amusing enough to post it? I just think those guys that cant distinguish a decoy from live birds are idiots mainly because of a few deaths this past year from idiots shooting into decoys. Along with avery pro staffer josh leger, a few others were killed or shot at in their decoys this past year. I'm sure in every hunters saftey course across the continent, they say "be sure of your target before shooting!"
I agree. Very sad about Josh. I didn't know him, but I talked to some guys that did, and they all had only great things to say about him.

I elk hunt a lot, and I could tell you some stories about guys that have shot spikes (illegal) more than once. How can you not learn from your mistakes? To not be sure of your target is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, mistakes a hunter can make.

Sorry about hacking on you Mike, I was just having a little fun. I know what you mean, and agree with you. It's just that Alsatianhas been around for a while and Iwould bet he wouldn't pull a stunt like that. He was telling a story he found humorous. Had the outcome have been different there would be nothing funny to tell. No harm no foul, as long as they learned something, and it sounds like they did.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

No harm no foul, as long as they learned something, and it sounds like they did.

[/quote]

No foul, just decoys!!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 04:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to get you ruffled, mike2355. I wasn't involved in the second event, and no I wouldn't have done that. And I agree with you, these guys were not hunters. Pretty unsporting to take birds sitting on the water. But . . . there is a funny element to that story!!!

Quick Reply: Funny duck hunting story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.