Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Getting a new gun...need advice >

Getting a new gun...need advice

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Getting a new gun...need advice

Old 05-10-2008, 06:07 PM

Default Getting a new gun...need advice

Hey, I'm looking into getting a new gun. I'm looking at the Benelli M2 28" barrel in Max-4 camo. I don't shoot 3 1/2's, so there's no real reason for me to get the SBE2, right? It's basically the same thing, but $400 less? My pump gun can shoot 3 1/2's if I ever need to. Does this sound like a good plan?
Old 05-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Getting a new gun...need advice

look at the stoegers
if you can spend around $500, you can buy a model 2000, which is a half price benelli. it has the inertia system, which has made benelli famous.
stoeger model 2000
Old 05-11-2008, 09:23 AM

My good buddy had a model2000 and it seemed to jam a lotwhen using light shells...maybe a defective one? I dunno, I'll ask my local gun shop if i can test a stoger before buying a new gun, you know see if the floor model jams or anything, but good idea.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WaterFowler07

My good buddy had a model2000 and it seemed to jam a lotwhen using light shells...maybe a defective one? I dunno, I'll ask my local gun shop if i can test a stoger before buying a new gun, you know see if the floor model jams or anything, but good idea.
at first mine did the same thing, but after a thourough cleaning of the gun, and a lot of shells fired out of it, youll love the thing!
Old 05-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Most autos will jam if your using too light a shell. I think 1 1/8 ounce is about the min they will all shoot.. Stoeger is a good gun for the money.. You could also go with the Franchi I12..
Old 05-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cjwink

Most autos will jam if your using too light a shell. I think 1 1/8 ounce is about the min they will all shoot.. Stoeger is a good gun for the money.. You could also go with the Franchi I12..
my brother has the franchi, he loves it, its just like the stoeger because it has the benelli "guts". basically the same gun, but looks nicer, and didnt jam as much at first
cant go wrong with either!
Old 05-12-2008, 04:01 PM

H&R Excell Waterfowl 367 dolllers and it's semi best gun u'll ever buy for the money my friend bought 4 and he said they only jam ocasionally but every semi auto jams but i would recommend this gun to anyone
Old 05-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: WaterFowler07

Hey, I'm looking into getting a new gun. I'm looking at the Benelli M2 28" barrel in Max-4 camo. I don't shoot 3 1/2's, so there's no real reason for me to get the SBE2, right? It's basically the same thing, but $400 less? My pump gun can shoot 3 1/2's if I ever need to. Does this sound like a good plan?
This sounds like a fine plan. In my experience I have seen many more failures of the SBE than the M2 or the M1 Super 90's. I would also look at a Beretta Xtrema or a 391, or the Winchester SX2/Browning Gold. You generally get what you pay for with a Semi, and I have personally seen the Benelli/Beretta guns get used in ways normal humans will never use their guns and they kept on working. Duck hunting is hard on a gun and I don't want one that I have to clean every day, or that will break after only a few thousand boxes of shells (between duck season, and light goose conservation season I usually shoot 4-5 flats of 3.5" shells, and shoot about 16 flats of 1 oz. target loadswith my duck gun to keep used to it during the off season).... I know the Beretta and Winchester will do that and keep working for years...not sure about the others....

I have a good friend that hunts like I do...he bought a Stoeger the season before last...this year he was shooting the M2....