Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Manure field

Old 03-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Manure field

I have a question about manure hunting fields.this year we would scout a field that was holding birds and get permission to hunt it. either before we hunted it or the time after we hunted it the farmer would spread manure on the field and the birds would not touch it after that. do ducks/geese not like fields that have been spread with manure?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Manure field

I don't think it affects them very much. I've seen fields and hunted fields that were spread with manure, and it seemed to almost attract them. If cattle are fed whole kernal corn a lot of it passes right through them and geese will pick throughmanure for the corn. Maybe the field you are talking about had been spread with manure with little or no corn in it, and the manure covered up whatever food source they were going there for ... or the gees just moved on to another field.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:53 AM

It also depends on what type of manure it is becasue we do very well hunting fields that have had cow manure spread on it but geese hate pig manure.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: straitkiller

It also depends on what type of manure it is becasue we do very well hunting fields that have had cow manure spread on it but geese hate pig manure.
thats true, Gotta know your SH*T when it somes to waterfowling!! lol
Old 04-27-2008, 04:12 AM

So, if you hunt over manure that is bringing in the birds...is it considered baiting?? You know...because of the CORN!!![:'(]