Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Duck Boats??

Old 11-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Duck Boats??

ORIGINAL: cgguy

What did you use for paint. My boat has some camo clad on it, to do the rest is going to cost a bit. I was looking at the kit from cabelas that comes with the stencils but is it worth 100$
A good tricki like to use is just go out back and get some local vegetation. Use scotch tape (the thiner stuff is better) and tape it to the side. Oops, make sure you have a base color already. Green,tan,black,brown. Then just go to town with some of the 'ultra-flat' spray paint, alternating colors, and let it dry. peel off the vegetation and reveled is a very nice looking camo. remember, it doesn't have to look like Mossy Oak to work, just enough color to blend in and enough contrast to break up the outline. Also, Waly-mart sells 4'X5' grass mats. Attach them to th side of the boat and you have a sort of blind boat. Just some suggestions.

plus, according to the website, the cabelas stencil is only $50, that seems worth it to me.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005697014740a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=camo+paint&N=4887&a mp;Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&am p;Ntt=camo+paint&noImage=0
Old 11-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

I have a beavertail blind, works well. I had a pop up blind on my 18 alaskan. A pop up for my 20 alaskan would have been like 1600 plus shipping. I think this summer I will pull the camoclad that is on the side and do a nice paint job. The boat is olive green, so some brown, black and tan will look nice.
Do any of you guys use the beavertail blind?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey CG that is funny!
That happened to me when I was stationed up in Ketchikan. Tides were a new thing for me!
I am getting ready to buy a Lowe Roughneck And I am going to use a stencil kit from Macks PW. Kits work great.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 AM

I have a 18.5 Apache made by Duckwater Boats..............3/16 welded alum. the thing is a amored personnel carrier. I will does all that I want it to & then some.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:14 AM

I used all rustolium spray camo and rustolium flat black, brown, olive, and some other cool color its not profesional, but its a duck boat, it blends in
Old 11-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

I have a nice little plastic Coleman that dad lucked up on at Walmart that he paid about half price for. I first sprayed a drab green base coat and made a stencil out of some material from work. I used three different colors and it worked out nice. I wished I had used a primer but thought that the rustoleaum that I bought (that was supposed to work on plastic) would stick.

Is there a cheap roll on out there similar to Rhino Liner? I would like to put something in the bottom of mine like that.