Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

jack miner bands

Old 10-10-2007, 12:32 PM

Default jack miner bands

well guys after shooting 5 bands last friday (3 myself and 2 bighonkers89) (there are pics in the contest pic section) i emailed kirk miner with the information. Just now, i got the mail and i had a package from the jack miner foundation. Inside were 2 certificates, one certificate had the two 07 bands on it and some information. It turns out they ended up banding some more on september 17th and both were from that batch. so my two 07's bands were not ones that we helped band Then another certificate (the one i was looking forward to to distinguish the year on the band) It turns out that the older band was an 04 band ( a 100th year anniversary band) Im pretty pumped about that one, now both me and bighonkers89 have a 100th year anniversary band since he shot an 04 last year. This duck was also banded on september 17th but 3 years prior to the other two bands i got. Pretty sweet that they were banded on the same day. Also inside is a booklet i havent looked at yet and a cd. Well im going to go check it out, cya. Thought you guys would like to know the year on the older band i got.

heres some pics of the certificates and package i got. i blackedo ut my name and address though.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: jack miner bands

Thanks for posting and CONGRATS!!!

I think I feel a little bit jealous![:@]
Old 10-15-2007, 11:39 PM

Thats awesome mike, in my opinion Jack Miner is a hero in the world of waterfowl hunters and waterfowl conservationist alike.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

So I'm guessing you live nearby? That certainly helps the odds! Congrats! Its a really special thing to collect a Miner band! I know of two people personally that have done so, one a goose right here in Virginia, and the other was a duck taken in Saskatchenwan. They really do a nice job on the letters as well. Thanks for sharing those pictures Mike!
Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 PM

ya if i wanted, i could go to miners everyday. Its only a 5 minute drive from my house but we hunted about 25 minutes from there. Dont think that every bird we shoot have bands, thats not the case. We were just extremely lucky that day when we got 5. But living close by does help lol
Old 10-16-2007, 06:54 PM

If you enjoy reading go to his webpage and purchase "Wild Goose Jack". One of the most touching books I've read! If your not a donor to the foundation everyone should check into it! My Dad & myself stay in contact with Kirk tryingto make something work to come up by his place to band birds. Being the fact my Dad & I maintain 160 wood duck boxes in west MI and band them it would be nice to try our hand at a different type of banding.

Another thing that happened last yearthat was interesting. A local shot a banded greenhead and received the same certificate that you did. Except at the lowere left corner Kirk wrote "If you know a man in your town by the name of Dave Brower(my Dad) please tell him I said hi, and God Bless." So the local contacted us and came to our house to show us this...That was pretty sweet I thought!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Kirk is one of the most stand up guys Ive ever met! Ive had the pleasure of helping him band on multiple occasionsand also rounded up some much needed volunteers for the sanctuary this past spring.(Im hoping that tradition continues,, unfortunately I wont be able too participate in them anymore due too relocation)

Ill tell you though,, those times my phone rang and the caller i.d. came up "wild goose". I knew I was in for an experience very few would get too partake in,, and thousands would love too!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!! It is cool to see so many involved waterfowlers on this site too!
Old 10-17-2007, 08:04 PM

i still havent watched the documentary that came in the package..what am i waiting for? I bet it'll be an interesting watch, learn some stuff about the sanctuary that i didnt know and probably appreciate it more than i do. Well good luck everyone, i hope you get a certificate from kirk and frame it like i did. Both of mine are framed and hanging in my room with pictures of the duck which were banded. Hopefully in a few years i dont have anymore room for anymore picture frames.