Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 PA duck and goose hunting... Newbie here... >

PA duck and goose hunting... Newbie here...

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

PA duck and goose hunting... Newbie here...

Old 12-16-2004, 07:42 PM

Default PA duck and goose hunting... Newbie here...

I Live in Lancaster Co. PA.... and I have a cabin in Sullivan Co.... in Lancaster I have thoughts about hunting the Susquanna river next year... but I am not quite sure where to go... I tried it last year from a marshy swamp off the river... great set up for what I had... I hid in the bushes... and nothing... but i sure herd a LOT of shooting? was i just in the wrong place? Any special Ideas or tipos for hunting goose or ducks on such rivers? and how many decoys do you suggest?

Now for the cabin... the only REAL hunting ground i have there is a swap... well "dam" that s surrounded by wood and VERY hard to get to... I can make it there but not with a boat and it gets DEEP... assuming this was a good spot and i dont have a dog how would u suggest I hunt it? should i just see if i could get maybe a canue there or how would you do it? just thowing around some idea for next year... looking for some help! thanx!
Old 12-21-2004, 07:06 PM

Default RE: PA duck and goose hunting... Newbie here...

do you have a boat? dog? I went out to Peach Bottom about 3 weeks ago, 1st time on susquehanna, not much flying but there were a few ducks on the water when we got there , about 25
where you set up depends on how the wind blows, if the wind blows east to west , set up on the east side, west to east set up on west side, keep the wind on the back of your head, ducks like to land into the wind,
if it blows up or down the river set up near an island , there is one accross form the nuke plant

for geese drive around to see what fields they are using the day before you want to go, if going at midday then scout midday, ask the landowner permission , if successful the hunt is on ,if not try the surrounding farms maybe you can pull them down
use as many decoys as you have for geese the like numbers