Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Opinions please

Old 08-16-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Opinions please

i just want some opinions on a few things, coffin blinds or ditch huntin'?
a couple of guys huntin' or the more the merryer? dogs help or hurt? load size bb or bbb or ...? flute or short reed? 10 gauge or 12 gauge? just replie your opinions i am curious and im sure these answers will help some one be more sucsessfull. thanks!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opinions please

Wow. a bunch of questions all at once. A good place to start is to read through all the relating questions from other members. And then decide what will work best for you. For instance, ground blind or ditch? I have killed a ton of geese out of a ditch. But beware, geese that are pressured a lot will most likely not give you the time of day if you are hunting around a ditch or fence line. So, my opinion is a ground blind or a pit is a much better all around choice. But then you and your hunting buddies need to all be on the same page. Loof around this site. lots of info. Any questions you can't find I will be more then happy to help you!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Layout blind whenever possible. I'd rather have 3 guys at most goose hunting...Dove hunting, more the merrier. Don't personally have hunting dog, but I'm sure trained right, would help a lot. I like to use BB, or 2's sometimes. Short reed goose call. And to round it up, a 12 gauge is all you need.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Goose Assasin

i just want some opinions on a few things,
Ok, you got it. I assume we are talking about strictly GOOSE hunting yeah?

coffin blinds or ditch huntin'?
Depends. However you can stay hid, stay comfortable and be safe.

a couple of guys huntin' or the more the merryer?
Couple. I hate having 5 guys blasting at two geese... always better to take turns... just my opinion.

dogs help or hurt?
Depends on the dog and who is handling it, and who trained it. My dog is a help, and most of the guys I hunt with have dogs that help... although one comes to mind that was just a pain to have around...

load size bb or bbb or ...?
Doesn't matter.... I'd rather have BBs, smaller pellets, I shoot #2s in steel for geese, but vastly prefer #6 Hevishot.

flute or short reed?
Short Reed

10 gauge or 12 gauge?
10ga for just geese. Just don't complain about the weight or price of shells. I shoot 2 3/4" and sometimes 3" 12ga. But 10s throw great patterns!

just replie your opinions i am curious and im sure these answers will help some one be more sucsessfull. thanks!
You're most welcome!
Old 08-18-2007, 12:45 PM

Dude:

More than 5 guys may be a problem with gunbarrels going in all directions.

I use a Final Approach Eliminator Blind, gets you in the decoys, where you need to be.

I use a Remington SP-10 10 ga. semiauto shotgun. I have used it for about fifteen years, works well, you MUST be careful on decoying birds.

Dogs can be a BIG help when hunting on water. Especially if the water is over your waders.....

I use a Sean Mann "Eastern Shoreman" Birds Eye Maple flute call. I have used it for about fifteen years, love it. Yes, it was expensive. Still love it.

I use mainly silhouette decoys (Real Geese-Darrel Wise), however, have Big Foots, shells, etc. Silhouettes are easier to carry in numbers.

DetSgt14
"If it flies, it dies"