Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose ?s

Old 08-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Spike

Default Goose ?s

Hello u all, an early good luck for the up coming season.
i wil give u my situation and wait to see what peple have to say.
I have had about 2 yrs of feild hunting with some puddle jumping thrown in for fun. did the plunge and purchased the FA SUB layout blind, 1 dz FA shells flocked heads, flag and 2 more calls(long honker flute & Buck Garrdner goose Hammer II). addindg this to 45 Carry Lite stakable shells and a cheap knight and hale call.
Have a good amount of land to hunt, 10-15 quarters of land alot corn, wheat some beans. The FA dekes are more presentable than the carry lite and addind a blind to the picture leaves me a few ? as to placement.
Dekes in a v or J or U in family groups of #? with layout blinds were? when to flag when not to? when to call or not? Have had good luck not very many hunters my way no real competion and piles of geese. just want to make good on every hunt hahaha
I will wait to hear suggestoins. I know that wind weather etc plays into decisons but a nice starting point is great.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Goose ?s

Good move with the S.U.B, love mine. My favorite pattern for decoy set up is the U, with the forks of the U reaching out the same direction thewind is blowing,or 2 groups with sort of landing strip in the middle. Set your blindfacing your landing area and at the arc of yourU.Try to switch it up later in the season, make your spread a little more random or a little less typical, geese sometimes get used to the favorite decoy layoutsof hunters later in the season. Put your most realistic decoys around where you expect the geese to land.

As far as calling, earlier in the season, less is more. A few feeding clucks or murmurs should do if your where the geese want to be, and don't call when the geese are over top of you. Flagging is best at long distances, and it's best to ease off when the geese head your direction before they can pinpoint the movement. Practice on your calls before hunting season gets here, and watch for which areas the geese are using.

Hope I was of some help, it's hard to describe full decoy and blind positions without visual aids, soI would recomend trying to find some on the internet to clarify.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

You were to me.... thanks
Old 08-16-2007, 06:00 PM

i hunt in corn and wheat, and use a"crab pattern" front claws are families of 4-5 thenloosley display the rest to form the rest. it seems to be very inviting to the birds, if you have a blind then setup in the middle of the loose crab area with your feet to the "claws". make sure the "claws" are away from the wind dirction.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:42 PM

"V" or "U" pattern works, also a "J" with the hook of the J being where you are set up with the wind to your back.

Depending on the number of decoys you have, you may want to try several "groups" of geese, akin to family groups in an area and plant yourself in an open area among the groups, again, with the wind to your back. Put some decoys behind you also.

The mother of invention is innovation. Try several different setups and see which one works the best for you. The best thing I did was buya Final Approach Eliminator Blind so I can be IN the decoy spread. Being IN the decoy spread means more than anything else, especially when hunting grain fields, which my friends and I exclusively do. Get a goose flag also to attract attention to the decoy spread. Most of all, have a ball learning.

DetSgt14
"If it flies, it dies"
Old 08-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

some great help to me as well. i have used the v and the u and i dono what u would call this one ( ) the middle being the landing strip. all have worked but the last few years havnt seem to bag many birds. most would come just out of range and then scatter. wonderin if putting full body decoys out with some magnum and supermag shell decoys makes a difference? thnks
Old 08-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

check out this website i shows and talkes about the v spread and the x spread

http://www.trmichels.com/WaterfowlDecoySpreads.htm