Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How do I get a goose?

Old 08-21-2005, 09:53 PM

Default How do I get a goose?

I have been waterfowl hunting for several years now and have yet to bag a goose. I am the only hunter in my whole family so everything I learn, I learn on here or just learn the hard way. I have a farmer friend who grows wheat and has a goose problem. Every time I try to sneak up on these geese, they fly off way before I get there. Should I scare them off and then hide and wait for them to come back? I just bought a new Mossberg 935 today so I can now shoot 3.5" shells. What size shot should I be using? I plan to buy the hevi-shot this year. What choke should I use? My gun came with three chokes. Modified, Imp. Cylinder and Full. Are the stock Mossberg chokes okay? Should I make some sort of blind in this field? Do I need decoys? Thanks for any advice! Matt
Old 08-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How do I get a goose?

If they are in the feild every day just get there before they do or you could set up decoys and call em in
Old 08-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

With 3.5 in shells you could use 2,4, or 6's. I usually like 2&4's to give me more range. As far as chokes, i prefer full, again gives me increased accuracy at futhur ranges. I've been shooting since i was 5 and shoot competitively and use a full choke for that, so for me a full choke is better. If you dont feel very accurate i'd go will mod. or improved cyl. Factory chokes are fine. If you want to get an after market go w/ a Pattern Master. Best ive found for geese and ducks. As far as your plan to get the geese, get there before they do, try to get some good concealent and make sure your firing in a safe direction. We have geese on our farm, if they dont stay over night they usually come in a little after sunrise.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:07 PM

like they said get there before they do you could use a couple dozen dekes. hevi shots good id use 4's and full choke.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:17 PM

my advice would be study the birds and find out what time there gettin in the field. if there gettin there early in the mornin get there before the sun comes up and be waiting with decoys and a blind. as far as shot size i like bb's for geese, even with 3.5's. i shoot 3.5 federal steel bb's,some people might say thats to big but with steel i dont think you can go to big on geese, especially them big ol resident birds. id set my decoys up like the geese are in the field, if there broke up in to small family groups set your decoys up like that. when your early season goose huntin callins not really that big of a deal. justsome little feedin clucks to let em know you're there is really all you need. hope this helps you kill some geese this year man.