Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Decided to give it up

Old 02-10-2003, 12:35 AM

Default RE: Decided to give it up

Some things that worked for me.

One is watch where the local ducks land and feed during the off season where you plan on hunting. Now if you do not have a chance because it may be new or hard hunted and the spots you picked are taken. Do not turn but wait for the birds to start coming in then set off run the shore when you finally find birds and they rise quickly and I mean quickly set up right there. There is a reason they were there and you did not fire on them they should be back given a little time.

Next if their coming in DO NOT CALL, if they buzz and do not lower for a shot call tell they turn then shut up Do Not over call. If you want to hear a call fine if you want to have shots at birds do not over call but remember LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. They say geese you can call often but in my home state they become call shy in a hurry, then again it could be my calling but it seems to work some days and not others I would suggest letting the geese tell you what they want to hear.

The advice given is good for few decoys. At times just 5 decoys spread around a 3 decoy mallard machine have done wonders. Set you spread whether it be ducks, or geese in multiple little spreads that blend also make sure you have 2 to 4 dekes that looked like they just landed and are coming into the spread, this will help draw them in.

Some times a good Robo duck may be the trick or a large spread but mostly it is to dublicate whats around at the time and LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

If you are giving up, sorry to hear if your going to try a few more times try doing it just a little different then what you have been doing. If your getting results you do not like, I would cease doing what gives those results and try something different, you may have heard there is more than one way to skin a cat. Soo I would definiately give up on the way you have been attempting to duck hunt and try another way to duck hunt just a little different could make a large difference in being successful.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:51 PM

HUNTER
DONT GIVE IT UP. MY GOOSE HUNTING THIS YEAR NETTED 0 BIRDS, WE HAVE KILLED MANY IN THE PAST, JUST A BAD YEAR CANT WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR. AS FAR AS DUCK HUNTING IT CAN CHANGE LIKE THE WEATHER ONE GOOD DAY THE NEXT YOU WONT FIRE A SHOT. BUT THATS HUNTING.
HAPPY HUNTING
Old 03-24-2003, 01:55 PM

Don' t give up! I' ve been hunting for over half my life and you have to take the good with the bad....If it were easy they' d call it " shopping"

Kimmie

Hang in there! My dog came from Pinckneyville, IL looked like good goosin' country out there to me...
Old 03-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

do you do some scouting. if you get a good spot of scouting and set up at the right time you should get lots of birds to come threw. as for locking up some birds just get shot at to much and are alot more spectial than others. but dont give up, i have had bad days waterfowl hunting, but i love it and if i have 3 bad yrs in a row i would still hunt cuz i love it. even seeing birds is a good day to me
Old 04-06-2003, 12:52 PM

dude don' t give it up if u keep trying u will someday get one
i didn' t get one for awile to but i kept on trying and i eventually got one[8D]
Old 05-04-2003, 09:16 AM

Never give up perstience pays off. A bad day of hunting beats a good day of work