Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Robo Duck worth the money? >

Robo Duck worth the money?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Robo Duck worth the money?

Old 04-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Robo Duck worth the money?

are they worth the money? do they realy help bring in more birds? i have hunted with one before but i didnt realy see much of a difference. have you got any experience with them and would it be smart to have one?
Old 04-03-2003, 08:40 PM

Default RE: Robo Duck worth the money?

My wife bought me a Roto Duck Jr. this past season for my birthday. The only chance I had to bring in ducks this year (bad year) I feel it helped. I had laid down my call, my gun and my head for that matter to check the time and 2 beautiful drake mallards splashed into my dekes right beside Roto. I am a believer.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

I used one of those for the first time last year. With the local ducks it didn' t seem to do anything at all for bringing them in it acctually seem to flare the ducks more than anything. But as soon as the northern flight came down the ducks sucked into it like it was the only thing they were looking for. But that only lasted a week or so and then even those ducks started to wise up to it' s movements. The only places there was considerable evidence that it worked on a regular basis was hunting divers on big water and if you hunt ducks in a field. It' s crazy you only need 1-2 robo' s in a field and the ducks will dang near land on top of the thing and that' s with no other decoys even put out. Example: I was out adjusting my robo last year becasue the wind was pushing it over. I saw a lone mallard coming in so I laid down flat on my stomach right underneath the robo duck. That dang mallard landed about 5 feet from me while I was laying under this stupid thing. Needless to say he met his demise after I jumped up and he started to fly away. I would say they are worht their money yes.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

Two years ago I bit the bullet and bought one (they are not cheap). I didn' t really know what to expect. The first time I used it was in your neck of the woods around Devils Lake. It worked outstandingly! For two days in a row, my brother and I set up seperately on the same large pothole. The first day I shot my limit of birds in the first 20 min. and my brother had only shot one. Every duck that came to the pothole came straight to my spred, even though my brother is a much better caller than I am. After I shot my limit, my brother moved over to my spred and finished off his limit.

BUT- three weeks later, we were hunting in southern ND, and it was a totally different story. Most of the birds that came by flared at the Robo duck. I had better luck when I turned it off. Lots of other people have motion decoys, so the birds get smart quick, especially mallards.

Over all, I would definetely say they are worth it, just don' t be afraid to turn it off if the birds are shy.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

thnks for the info. i will have to start seriously about gettin one. maybe my next purchase. darn theres always somthin to buy when it comes to hunting
Old 04-05-2003, 07:12 AM

I own and hunt with {2} motorized decoy' s. a Roboduck & a Mojomallard and where I live in N.W. Wisconsin they are a must. The flyway migration has moved farther to the west and the population of not only local birds, but the migrating birds, just dont fly thru here much at all....I have read and re-read every argument there is to the use of motorized decoy' s, and when the State duck harvest average is less then 5 bird' s per hunter per year, and on a " Good" year we get to hunt 30 days because of the freeze, you need to use and employ every " trick" in the book.....The newer decoy' s are a far better deal, even at the expence due to the direct drive motors, which give you a whole day hunting in the feild with out re-chargeing....A good day with the " older" model' s are good for 3-4 hours hence the purchese of two....
I have experamented with useing them while field goose hunting, and mixing in a half doz Mallard field decoy' s, and have seen my harvest % go thru the roof.... So to answer your question..: HECK yes buy one even at the price they work....and dont listen to the " experts" tell you that your any less of a duck or goose hunter if you use one....If they add to you getting closer shots.. watching your % or shot vrs kill ratio go up and lessen any chance of a cripple getting away isnt it worth the try... just my opinion and If I ranted forgive me... shootum in the lips...
Old 04-17-2003, 08:38 AM

I think the effectivness of a rotoduck is proportionate with where you hunt. If you live up north I think you have better luck. Living here in Texas the birds have traveled a long distance and seen a lot of hunter pressure. They wise up and tend to be more leary.

I' ve used one a few times and haven' t really realized the benifit as opposed to a good spread layout and calling sequence.

Don' t get me wrong, I believe they have benifits. Maybe, I' m just not using it correctly.

Any opinions?
Old 04-17-2003, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

THNKS FOR THE INPUT
Old 04-17-2003, 06:33 PM

I got to see their effectivess this year. The guy who runs the club I belong too bought a Rob Duk and I watched alot of birds lock up from a long ways and come into the cut corn field. It did Flare the Canada Geese though, which as what we were primarily hunting for.

I cant deny that they were effective, but I find them unethical and would never use one. I would never look down on someone who did though as long as its legal where you hunt. To each there own.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:42 AM

Duckmastor2,

Not trying to be arguementative but why exactally do you feel that they are unethical?

Just curious.

Quick Reply: Robo Duck worth the money?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.