Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Decided to give it up

Old 12-30-2002, 10:37 AM

Default Decided to give it up

Me and my buddys waterfowl hunt and we are all pretty good callers. and we have good full body decoys and some shells and floaters and we know quite a bit about duck and goose hunting to kill some but it dont work. we know how to make a pocket for them to land in and that they land into the wind so we know most of the keys.but we never have success. we get camouflaged good and they dont come. this mornin we didnt even see a duck or goose. and when we see them they lock up and then fly away. but they shouldnt be flaring because there is nothign to flare from. so we decided to give up waterfowl hunting.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:05 PM

Default RE: Decided to give it up

do you have your decoys for sale if so let me know by e-mail thanks

stateline outdoors
Old 12-30-2002, 09:19 PM

Hey!! Dont give up dude! It's not to hard, where you live? Maybe try a guide. A good one will teach ya how its done pretty good, and if not, just watch and see what he does. If nothing else, try pass shoot hunting or jump shooting. Find a common flyway for small flocks and get in the middle of it for pass shooting. For jumping, find where they're sittin and sneak up on them... As for whether to shoot them while on the ground, you'll have to look at OTHER threads on the message board...

Dont give up. Keep tryin. If youre at rock bottom, it can only get better right?

----------------------------------
just gotta hunt
Old 12-30-2002, 10:43 PM

Hunter,

I have been very frustrated while "trying" to learn to hunt the watefowl myself. The only thing I can recommend is that if you enjoy it, stick with it. Hunting is not killing, but enjoying the outdoors and the company of the others whom you are with.

If you do not enjoy the persuit, do not try turkey hunting. They are worse than waterfowl!

Good Luck with the Duck!
Old 12-31-2002, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Just keep trying new techniques if somthing isn't working don't stick with it. Stay mobile maybe smallen your spread. Jsut don't give up completely we've all been there and know how frustrating it can be but just stick with it and it'll all work out. Just keep experimenting.

Wait, wait, ready PLUG EM!!!!!
Old 01-01-2003, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Don't give up Hunter. Waterfowling done right is an art and takes time to learn and with every new area or species one goes for there is more to learn. I was lucky to have a good mentor. He never came out an told you how to do it but would come by my hide and make little comment when we'd b.s. during a lull in the action. Kinda like in the movie,"didn't put enough dirt down,saw it right off".
In three years or so you will start to get a handle on it. Keep at it ,it'll get better believe me.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

A bad day of hunting is better then a good day at work. Enjoy the outdoors and your company.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:57 AM

Actually, if the geese/ducks are locking up on your spread, it sounds like you've almost got it. Maybe get a guide to come with you and observe one day, and ask him/her for suggestions. I'm in south Texas, and when the birds get here they've seen every decoy ever made, heard every call ever blown, and can tell what kind of shotgun you have on their way into the spread. Overall... hard to decoy. Many flocks lock up, look things over, and slide away. That's where craftiness and experimentation become real important. Do things differently - you may hit on something the birds haven't seen.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:24 AM

I am fairly new to waterfowl hunting myself. There has been many occasions that I am not getting the birds to decoy like I want them. I belong to a club on Marylands eastern shore. Coming from experiance DONT GIVE UP! We may not always get the birds to do what we want, but I dont miss to many weekends, because I enjoy being with good friends. And thats what hunting is all about.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

No birds around here. Am ready for the geese or next year. Put in for my first turkey permit and will take a few deer next year. Starting on the yotes here soon.

Quick Reply: Decided to give it up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.