Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 I want to bu ... well just read his thread! >

I want to bu ... well just read his thread!

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

I want to bu ... well just read his thread!

Old 06-18-2007, 11:35 AM

Default RE: I want to bu ... well just read his thread!

lol thats kinda a good idea!
Old 06-18-2007, 11:54 AM

nothing like learning on your own.....i started last year. a really easy species to start on is wood ducks, atleast for me. bought half dozen decoys GHG for like 35 bucks.....call for 8 buckseasiest call ever.....then just go find a small creek throw the dekes out in the bend of the creek, and find a place to blend in.a little tip, the closer you are to a river or lake the better.i started out that way, then moved up to hunting with friends and a guide, until this year ill be spending most my time on the river or lake. I say read a little and do you r research but nothing helps you learnlike going out and trying.

careful though, it gets EXPENSIVE real quick.

good luck this year!
Old 06-21-2007, 05:44 PM

anyone have any good tips on a cheap reasonable decoy?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:20 AM

GHG hotbuys
Old 07-09-2007, 08:42 PM

ok i got 21 decoys, for starters a call that i have been messing around with but i still cant get the hang of it does anyone have any tips/websites that can help me with my calling?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:14 AM

As for calls, IMO Haydel makes the easiest to use, from duck to goose to predator calls. Get an instructional tape or DVD and PRACTICE. Pay attention to live ducks and mimic their sound. Not all ducks listen to tapes or read the same magazines we do.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best advice I can give you is dont start waterfowling it is extremely addicting and expensive. I started two years ago, now I have a lanyard that is worth about 500 bucks with more calls on the way. I got to buy about 1000 dollars in goose decoys this season. Then layout blinds, waders, jackets. Then before you know it you will want to go to canada which is going to cost me another 900 bucks. So dont get started, you may think that you cant get hooked from just one hunt, ya well thats wrong. Dont start. My best advice would be try and find someone in your area that duck hunts. Go to this website http://www.ducks.org/Michigan/MICont...eOfficers.html and call the Greenwing coordinator, (if its alright with your parents) my guess is that the DU guys/gals would be more than happy to take you out and get you started, heck they might even take you on the youth hunt if they have one in Michigan. If you lived in Utah I would be more than happy to take you hunting and helping you out, but you will find the DU guys would be very willing to help you out.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Get a waterfowl ID booklet that you can put in your fieldbag. Learn the species and their traits. Aside from your local DU or Delta Waterfowlchapter for guidance. Check with the National Shooting Sports Foundation, they sometimes have "junior" hunts or workshops/camps. Also check with your state rifle association, they usually offer the same.

Get your tapes/DVDs for learning how to call and practice. See if you can find a local park withwaterfowl, then practice on them.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:52 AM

Hey im 15 and i been hunting ducks for a while , just get some deeks ,waders, ur gun and go find a river or pond , you just got to get out there and do it .You might not find the best duck spot but u will see where they will fly to and you will get shots.