Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
1st time duck hunt comeing, need advice >

1st time duck hunt comeing, need advice

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

1st time duck hunt comeing, need advice

Old 12-02-2002, 10:52 AM
Spike

Default 1st time duck hunt comeing, need advice

I am about to embark on my first ever duck hunt. I will be shooting a Remington 870 2 1/2 or 3 inch. I have all three choke tubes. Which choke and shells should I shoot. I am a pretty good shot with my shotgun as I have shot trap and skeet a few times. Any advice will be appriciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 1st time duck hunt comeing, need advice

Hey there....

I too have an 870 12GA (Express Magnum lefty version). I use 3" magnum #2 steel on ducks and 3" magnum BB's for geese. Use a modified choke or maybe a full choke for longer shots. Let the birds come into about 35-40 yards before you pop up out of the blind and let 'em have it.

Butch
Old 12-04-2002, 06:46 PM

Modified only,,, make sure any choke you use is good for steel!!!

3" 2's for ducks,, bb's or t's for geese. I have switched over to Kent Faststeel this year,, tail, body, beak, BOOM!! very happy with it and I do alot of waterfowling!

Keep all your shots UNDER 35 yards,, chasing cripples is not fun and steel does not shoot the same as lead! Dont give your hunting partners muzzle blast!! Nothing like ringing ears and skybusters,, ive almost seen people throwing punches for these 2 things and you definitely wont be invited back!

Wear a lifejacket if travelling any distance by boat, cold water kills fast. I know of atleast 2 duckhunters that died in my area this year.

Most of all have fun!
Old 12-05-2002, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

My second gun was a 870 pump. Good gun. If you're shooting lead go with #4 shot and full chock. If you're shooting steel go with #2 and modified chock. It's not recommended to use full chock with steel shot.I've been hunting for years and have been using #4 lead until we had to change to steel shot. #4 has very good penetration for ducks or geese.
good luck hunting.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:12 AM

The #2 and #4 or great loads for ducks....I'd pattern my gun with all of your chokes to see which one patterned best with the load you choose...My gun shoots better with a full choke than with modified or improved...
Old 12-13-2002, 06:17 PM

Is lead legal anymore?

I have heard great things about Remington's HeaviShot. I am not sure if it requires steel tubes or not. I just purchased some for the late season here and get to try it in the morning.

I hunt with a Mossberg 835 UltiMag and my modified lead tube is marked full steel. I have had good luck with this tube.

Good Luck on the Duck!