Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Would this anger you?

Old 01-22-2007, 03:16 PM
bigcountry

Default Would this anger you?

Ok, I pay 200 dollars for this special deal for snow goose hunting where they call you the day before if they have them on the property and feel its going to be a real good day. Ok, I never knew that snow on the ground can throw off the hunting but thats makes sense.

Well, 10 of us gets out there 7 hunters, and 3 guides and we barely manage 12 birds.

Thats ok, thats hunting.

Well, one blue one, they called them eagles, was flying in, so hired hand shot and so did I. I kept shooting, until he went down. He acted upset cause I tore him up, because he wanted to get it mounted. Keep in mind, he is out there to support us. That ticked me off.

So, on our way back in the back of the truck, the two young guides/hands(around 20), started picking thru the birds to find ones they want to mount. I couldn't believe it. We only got 12 for 7 paying hunters??? They started saying, they knew the ones they took down which was bull. We were all shooting and no shot was under 40 yards.

I paid my bill, didnt' tip, and grabbed2 geese and got in the truck and left.

One of the older guys who was paying to hunt was overhearing the two young hands and the older caller/guide saying they took this one, and that one and about 6. He said, "well, since you shot all the geese, I guess we only pay half price right?". They shut up pretty quick.

This is one of the more premieroutfits on the eastern shore of Md.

Am Iin the wrong? AllI kept hearing about before the hunt was they took 60 on average. Sure, I am disappointed to onlytake a few shots. But thats hunting. I did manage to witness several thousand swirling in the sky like a tornado once, which was an awesome experience.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:51 PM

Default RE: Would this anger you?

Big, I wouldn't be too happy about it. I had a similar experience on a friend's property a few years back.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:53 PM
bigcountry

Snow geese is a thing I wish I could do on my own. That way I can only blame myself. But it seems its a numbers game where you require lots of flags or shells. They had around 1000 shells out. Thats just not feasable for me.

You know even if I we limited out today, I would have found it little redicuous for the hired hands to be picking out birds in front of clients.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:57 PM

Guides shouldnt be shooting if they have paying clients with them... Unless and I highly emphasize the word Unless they are asked by the clients too shoot. Only shooting they should be doing,, is finishing off cripples. And there is no way they should be taking any of the game, unless it is offered!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree guides are guides unless they are out on a day "off"
Old 01-22-2007, 04:17 PM
bigcountry

I have to agree with all you guys. If I was going just for meat, thats one thing, but I am out there for fun. I can buy cornish hens.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:06 PM

Funny thing you mention is they are taking the premier birds for mounters.. Have too wonder why? Im sure they kill several a year on theyre own,, im guessing they are selling them too make more profit.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was pretty nice of you to pay the bill in the first place. First off....$200 for Snow's is mighty high a price. Second, I don't care if I am paying $200 or $2,000, if I am paying to hunt...that means you aren't shooting the birds I am paying to shoot at.If a guide asks, I will almost always say sure thing, but that depends on the guide too. I have taken a fewclients on fishing trips before, and you bet your butt that even on very hot action fishing days for stripers, I, (the mate) didn't real one in unless everyone flat insisted that I do so. And I let the paying clients catch my two rockfish, and keep them. This is how it should be. I was there to rig, net, set and clear....not fish. Those guys were there to call birds, call shots, retrieve, and stay out of the way. Not to hunt and shoot all the birds....then take them home!

A friend had a similar experience up there in MD with snows. They shot a banded bird, and the young guide tried to claim it. It almost came to a fist fight, not over the band itself, just over the principal that someone who is paying to hunt, isn't really getting to do much except watch. May have even been the same group.

Big, please post the name of this bogus outfit, so all others may avoid them.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:39 AM
bigcountry

Well, they are the biggest outfitter in MD. Schraders Hunting. They control almost the whole snow geese hunting in Deleware and MD. I see them on the TV and on Duck videos and figured they would be a tad more professional.

Swamp there is a walleye outfitter in Lake Erie, I continue to go out with. My family has been going fishing with him since I was 12, (my first trip), and he specifies, the fishing trip is from sunup to 3PM. And he will fish on occasion, espeically if he seeswe are going to miss our limit number. I never had a problem with it. But one year, he took a friend and his son (around 30year old). Things got tight on the boat. We voiced it, because his son was an awesome fisherman, and caught 2 peoples limit, and never happened again. But he usually gives us all the fish, including his catch. Maybe only ask for one fillet for his dinner on occasion.

You definatly sound like a very good operator. I would go back.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have every reason to be P.O.'d,Big Country....
Yep.. You bet it woulds anger me too.
I woulda grab the 2 biggest best looking birds in the group
and walked away walk them...
Hope you did......

Quick Reply: Would this anger you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.