Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Wood Duck Decoy Question

Old 01-17-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Wood Duck Decoy Question

I have been hunting wood ducks and they have been flying to high the last few times i have been hunting. However, this morning i borrowed my neighbors decoys and i had more circle around and come in to land. to bad i was shooting terrible. but my question is if the only ducks coming in are wood ducks is all i need wood duck decoys or ahould i mix it some teal or mallards to. and my last question is what type of wood duck decoys do yall reccomend. thanks for the input
Old 01-17-2007, 08:00 PM

Default RE: Wood Duck Decoy Question

just use a half dozen wood duck decoys and that should do fine. can use more but not needed, and as far as brand any of them will work b/c these ducks fly sooooo fast. if you want the best realism my vote is for ghg then redheads look good too.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i always use woodies,mallards, and some teal in my spread with good results for the woodies and have found geese like the mallards as well but i like hunting th enatural landing zones
Old 01-18-2007, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have nothing but woodies (and know it), then use nothing but woody decoys. Wood ducks are very segregated, and will decoy more readily to other wood ducks (although, mallards will make them fly over, and occasionally light). Your best bet however, is to catch them coming, and when the swoop in to have a look...don't give them the chance to circle, especially if you are along a river orbig marsh...wood ducks don't work very well at all...and calling is almost pointless. They are a real pain compared to other ducks...just because they don't follow the rules of good sportsmanship.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:55 AM

Woodies like theyre own kind,, early season we have a spot where itsonly wood ducks. We put outa dozen and a half woodie decoyswith 2 attached too "jerk strings",, the motion really seems too get more of them too commit.. But like SC says if theyre over the dekes and in range,, let them have it!! dont think theyre going too make another past because usually they dont.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:14 AM

BF sets out1/2 doz.when it comes to woodies. Nothing else. We only hunt wood ducks on the ponds behind our house.

When we go out to bigger water we set out large groups of teal with 6-12 black ducks nearby. We have had quite a bit of luck.