Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Saskatchewan Wood Duck  HELP!!! >

Saskatchewan Wood Duck HELP!!!

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Saskatchewan Wood Duck HELP!!!

Old 09-18-2004, 11:00 PM

Default Saskatchewan Wood Duck HELP!!!

Help, I have been wanting to shoot a wood duck since I started duck hunting, but I don't know where to find them within a half hour to 45 minute drive from saskatoon. PLEASE HELP!!!! P.S. I don't know where I can find mallards. We Usually go hunting at a ducks unlimited pond outside of Bradwell.

Please help [:-]
Old 09-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Saskatchewan Wood Duck HELP!!!

Trout a rare find for the duck hunter in Sask. I have seen only a few during hunting season but never managed to shoot one. Most I've seen along the canal system you are hunting but closer to Hanley by the dupont plant.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Saskatchewan Wood Duck HELP!!!

I tried repling to your email but it was returned. I would suggest you guys try the Indie Lake/Hanely area for both mallards and geese. Indie lake is the body of water on the west side of Hwy 11(across from blackstrap lake). If travelling South on Hwy 11 at the top of the valley you'll see a signed road - Indie Road (West off 11). This will take you to indie mid point around the north/west side of Indie Lake. In this area you have Proctor Lake located on the North edge of the PFRA(west of indie road). While travelling this road you'll also see a slough to the west which is on the Hut land, however it typically becomes a cattle pasture in sept/oct. If you follow it will eventually take to the dupont Plant (located on the east side of the grid). Once in this area you'll also be close to Brightwater Res. which is an excellent area for Mallards and geese as well. I suggest you get a grid road map and from that it will be easy to find your way to these areas.

The canal runs from Zelma to Diefenbaker Lake, feeding several small resevoirs (like Zelma, Allen, Bradwell, Blackstrap, Indie, Brightwater, Broderick and eventually Deifenbaker) and for agriculture Irragation. Almost anywhere along these area's or the river system you'll find places to hunt waterfowl. Plus with the extra moisture many small puddles have water for jumping birds.