Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

locating ducks

Old 01-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Spike

Default locating ducks

I live in north central florida alachua county ,and mostly hunt orange, lochloosa, newnans lakes. this year orange has really been the only thing worth hunting the water level has dropped quite a bit since last year providing tons of hydrilla and other feed. mainly blue wing, ring neck, mottled and woodys.as of two weeks ago most ducks have left the lake.looking for some where else to go in florida possibly oakchobee any insight would be appriciated along with duck numbers.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: locating ducks

Try Arkansas or Mexico.

Although, if you really want to go where the numbers are, go up north where the water that should be frozen this time of year is still in liquid form.

You won't shoot many birds if there are no birds to shoot at.

I feel your pain, I am in VA, and our season is pretty slow thus far.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Although, if you really want to go where the numbers are, go up north where the water that should be frozen this time of year is still in liquid form.
Youve got that right,,our duck season closed 2 weeks ago.. If it were still open I could pick 4-5 places within 30 minutes that I could limit out on my 6 mallards in about 10 minutes!Its just crazy,, another year of no ice fishing![:@]
Old 01-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampTHING

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Youve got that right,,our duck season closed 2 weeks ago.. If it were still open I could pick 4-5 places within 30 minutes that I could limit out on my 6 mallards in about 10 minutes!Its just crazy,, another year of no ice fishing![:@]
I hunted until 10am today and saw just over 25 birds. Mostly in big bunches in the lower ionisphere. I almost had one close enough to justify a shot at...that is...if I was shooting a SAM.