Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help locating stand

Old 08-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Spike

Default Need help locating stand

I am looking for a box blind (at lease 4' x4' ) for my dad to hunt out of. Catch is, I want one that has steps (kinda like a ship' s ladder) up to it. He is 70 & I worry about him getting up a regular ladder, even those with a lean to them. I have
seen 1 like this but it was $1200. Please let me know if you know of anything
that my be at least a little cheaper. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2003, 08:20 PM

Default RE: Need help locating stand

Did you ever think of building one? Alot cheaper!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:47 AM
Spike

Ha, I have built many, but I want a fully enclosed stand with the sliding or flip up windows ect but mainly the steps. I am no carpenter.......
Old 08-06-2003, 08:10 PM

This does create an interesting problem....I will have to give it some thought....You need one that has steps , sides flip open windows and a door...well the cover is no problem as you can use realtree camo matteral... Valcro can be used to hold things open,...The floor can be made out of something like aluminum expanded metal.. That way it is light and yet heavy enough to use as a gurny for taking out your game when folded up...now as for the steps...I would think that the entire thing could be made out of 5052-H32 aluminum...Aluminum square tubing for all the rough construction and also the riser for the steps...Aluminum " Safty Tread " for the steps..this should make your stand...If you would like a drawing let me know and I will make you one up... Of course It wilkl be kind of a rough drawing but you should not have muchy problem figuring it out....Hope this gives you some of your own ideas.... HAPPY HUNTING....[:-][:-][:-]
Old 08-06-2003, 10:33 PM

Hey tomahog i live in hot springs and i build deer stands.
i have never built one with a ladder like you describe. but...

How tall do you want it?

Mine are built out of 2x2 angle iron 1/8" and very sturdy .

i don' t complete them with the wood or plexiglass windows . i just weld them up.

Now i am behind right now . i have four to build when i can.

Oh and i just finished one for a 78 year old man. he is in good shape so i don' t have any worrys about him.

if your interested i might see what we can do? let me know.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Spike

Thanks, I may just take you up on that. I think we could figue something out on the steps. I really just want a ladder that has a good angle to it & a handrail.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:52 PM

Just let me know . i just built one with a offset ladder but no handrail. the steps are 15" apart and 24" wide.
I make them wide enough to be comfortable.

Like i said i am behind . i had a guy stop by the other day cause he saw them and ask. so i may have another to build.

I build them 5' x 4' so two can sit comfortably. but i can build them any way someone wanted i guess.

I am going to have to get what i have gone before hunting season nears or i may not have time to get mine ready.